Why does the cloud migration assistant not run the migration?

Oliver Schütte July 27, 2021

Hello everyone :)

I would like to migrate from Jira Server to the cloud. But when I try to run the migration, the migration assistant doesn't respond and doesn't run the migration. There is no explicit hint to what's the problem and why it acts this way. The following picture shows the migration errors which the assistant reports (it also says I could run the migration anyway, but it doesn't do it).

MigrationErrors.PNG

This is an error I see two times in the pre-migration report csv file:

Custom field configuration,"The ""Development Summary"" custom field type is not supported via migration. The configuration for this field will not be migrated and any items that reference it, such as workflow schemes and filters may no longer work.","If you require this custom field, re-create it in your cloud site and use a csv import to update the issues post migration. See the >Adding additional entities with CSV< section in this document: https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/what-gets-migrated-with-the-jira-cloud-migration-assistant-993925216.html"

This only affects 2/24 custom fields though. I hope someone has a better understanding about what's going on here. Any help is much appreciated.

Kind regards

1 answer

1 vote
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 27, 2021

Hi @Oliver Schütte ,

some ideas to this...

How many users/groups do you have? Are these internal users or are there some connected ADs?

Have you checked Jira logs, if there are some errors?

Are you able to get to the target cloud site? Is your user at least site admin for the cloud site?

In any case I would strongly recommend you to create Migration support ticket. Atlassian team would surely help you.

Oliver Schütte July 29, 2021

Hi Hana, thank you for your reply!

1) We have 10 users, which is the maximum for our current server plan.

2) The only reocurring error I can find in the JIRA/logs directory stderr logfile says "Establishing SSL connection without server's identity verification is not recommended." That's all.

3) Yes, we already migrated our confluence to the cloud and it works fine. I'm puzzled as to why the migration of JIRA-Software doesn't work. :/

4) Before purchasing a paid cloud-plan we wanted to test if we can properly migrate our system. As of now I'm unable to create a ticket.

This seems to be frustrating. What shall I do now? Is there another way that may lead to a solution? Do you recommend upgrading to a paid plan already to get access to full customer support?

Kind regards

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 29, 2021

Hi @Oliver Schütte ,

I've contacted Atlassian team, if something can be done, because according to this page and section Support for Server Starter license and Cloud Free customers you should be able to get support, even if you have only starter licence.

Please try to use directly this link to create the migration support issue. If it still not possible for you, please, let me know and I will send Atlassian team this thread and they will create the migration issue on your behalf.

Like Oliver Schütte likes this

Suggest an answer