Why does GreenHopper only allow you to transition to some states on the Rapid Board?

Anthony Newnam February 12, 2012

I changed my "Done" column to only be "Resolved" instead of also having "Closed." Now I can no longer drag issues between "In Progress" and "Done."

4 answers

1 vote
Adam Saint-Prix
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 12, 2012

Does your workflow outside of GreenHopper allow issues to transition between those two states? i.e. from In Progress to Resolved? If not, GreenHopper won't allow it either.

I would check that first. Go to the actual JIRA workflow and look at the 'In Progress' step. Look closely at what options are available from 'In Progress'. Are there any restrictions that could prevent you from moving from In Progress to Resolved? Other things to check would be the Permissions, although if you could do it before then you should be able to now, but doesn't hurt to look. Make sure you have permission to 'Resolve Issues'.

I made the same change to my taskboard mapping and was still able to move the ticket to Done so it's more than likely a workflow restriction or a permissions issue. At least, those would be the two likely suspects up front.

Anthony Newnam February 12, 2012

Thanks for your reply. I am admin on the specific project that I am testing with, and if I open the issues outside of GH, then I can click resolved with no problem.

It seems this is probably a bug. A related question would be, if I have multiple states assigned to one column, how can I specify which state GH will transition the issue to or how does GH choose? I would prefer to have Closed grouped in with Resolved, so that I can see them easier, but I would want dragging to only take it to resolved.

0 votes
Anthony Newnam February 13, 2012

The issue that I had tried this with was going to a state that happens when you click "Resolve Issue," but it had been renamed from "Resolved," so the GH plugin didn't recognize it. When I added the other named state to this column, it shows an option in the column to go to the different states.

Thanks for all the responses.

0 votes
Peter Shiner February 13, 2012

@bnovc

Additional transition states (one within a column on the task board) are shown at the top of the dropdon menu for the car in question. Also if you have multiple status/states per column it is helpful to have the status listed on the card.

Peter

0 votes
Adam Saint-Prix
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 13, 2012

Actually on this one, Greenhopper will ask you what state you want to transition the issue to if you have multiple states assigned to one column. Out of the box, the JIRA default workflow assigns Resolved and Closed. If you transition the issue from In Progress to Done, it will prompt you for which action to take. Resolve or Closed. If you want it to go to only Resolved, you have to remove Closed as a workflow option from that step I believe.

Anthony Newnam February 13, 2012

I don't get prompted ever. I'm using JIRA (v4.4.3#663-r165197) & GreenHopper (v5.8.4)

Suggest an answer