Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Why does Atlassian struggle so much when creating a user friendly UI/UX?

Edited

I'm very curious why Atlassian, even after so many years, still produce user interfaces and experience that are complete and utter garbage? Are they simply that incompetent as a team?

This is not a troll post, it's a legitimate questions. Over the past 10 years, five of my businesses have used JIRA/Confluence, and although the UI/UX today is better today than it was back then, in my opinion, it's still one of the worst and poorly thought out UIs of any management system available today. My current business has 32 projects, all with custom configurations.

There are SO MANY inconsistencies everywhere. If you click the wrong option, you'll be taken from project settings to JIRA wide settings, with no intuitive way back, configuring workflows, issue types, screens, etc. is probably one of the most overly complex and poorly designed process/flows I've ever seen.

The left hand menu feels like some novice hacked it together. Every time you click something, the entire page reloads and moving around can becomes beyond frustrating as new windows are spawned and getting back to where you were is insane.

I could write a small paper on all the defects in the JIRA UI.

I really feel that Atlassian should fire their entire UI team and replace it with a competent team that understands UI/UX and can create an experience that is actually user friendly and quick to use.

1 answer

OK, Dan

Let's write that paper or offer alternatives with a better, cleaner UI/UX AND the same amount of flexibility and reusage of defined objects & templates. The UI is far from perfect & often not suitable for non-IT staff, but stilI I'm lacking alternatives...

Still seems a bit like a troll post as the question cannot be answered by the community. It seems to me that you would like to consult Atlassian on Jira UI/UX ;-)

Best

JP

@JP _AC Bielefeld Leader_,

First off, I did not state that I could write a small paper on alternatives, I said I could write a small paper on the overwhelming list of defects within the JIRA and confluence UI/UX. Defects that result in a poor user experience and an overly complex and convoluted process.

Lets be clear, I have no interest in consulting with Atlassian on any of their products.

I was hoping that someone from the community might be able to offer an explanation why a company I've spent many thousands of dollars with over the last decade, still cannot produce a quality user experience in over a decade?

Cheers

@JP _AC Bielefeld Leader_ 

I think this gentleman @Dan Casler) has brouht up a very fair question, actually.

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you