Why can filters only be shared with groups that I belong to ?

Robert Dibley April 6, 2014

I'm an administrator, and want to be able to create a query for a group and share it with them.

I do not want to have to be part of their group, because that would result in my being in many groups that I do not belong in.

Surely sharing a query with people is not something that needs to be restricted in this way, or if it does, it should not be restricted for administrators.

2 answers

0 votes

just to clarify, I am trying to provide easy access to a consistent filter for a group of colleagues, it doesn't seem like something that should be difficult.

0 votes
Andris Grinbergs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 6, 2014

If you could share it with group where you don't have access, you would loose access to it. And it may be considered as bug.

Also it is good for security reasons. So that one client couldn't share something to other client group.

As a workround you can create dedicated dummy account, and share filters from it. It would be better practice especially considering the fact that you could leave company. Filters will not be tied to your personal account.

Yes, I guess the dummy account might well be the best way (within the constraints as they are now), then any shared filters can be kept together in one place, and everyone who needs to work with them can be given the password to access it.

Regarding your comments, why would sharing with a group stop me having access, surely the sharing is in addition to, not instead of, the owner ? If not, then it strikes me that it's not really been well designed.

Also sharing a filter cannot give someone access to something they couldn't already get so the suggested security issue is not an issue. If I copied the advanced filter query as plain text and emailed it to everyone on the planet, it would not give them access to anything they could not get already, and as far as I can see that is all that a filter share does - shares the query, not the content.

Suggest an answer