Why are linked issues in Jira no longer loading?

Dan Landerman September 4, 2015

I recently contacted Support about this issue but since our versions are end of life I figured I'd ask here. We have a 5.2.11 instance that is no longer able to load issues from a 5.2.5 instance. Users report the "Failed to load" error while trying to view them. Based on my research, this issue doesn't seem to exhibit any signs of what typically causes this problem with Jira.

Error from log: 2015-08-13 11:43:28,185 http-bio-443-exec-77 ERROR <ID> 703x322074x2 1qisdhv <IP Address> /rest/viewIssue/1/remoteIssueLink/render/10924 [viewissue.issuelink.rest.RemoteIssueLinkResource] Error occurred while generating final HTML for remote issue link: java.lang.RuntimeException: java.io.IOException: Failed to load JIRA issue from remote server Caused by: java.io.IOException: Failed to load JIRA issue from remote server Caused by: com.atlassian.sal.api.net.ResponseException: Internal Server Error

Some findings from my investigation include the error from the logs above. Incoming remote API calls are enabled on both environments and the urls for these are properly configured. Based on the error in the logs, it also does not appear to be permissions related. The 5.2.5 instance does load issues from the 5.2.11 one just fine, which seems odd. To the very best of our knowledge no one has made any settings or config changes to either environment before or during the period when this appears to have stopped working.

The only thing that has been done to these is an XML backup taken of the 5.2.11 prod environment to restore and upgrade to 6.4 on an entirely different test server. Worth noting that the linking works in this new test system just fine. Could this backup/import have affected the prod 5.2.11 system? Thanks in advance!

1 answer

0 votes
Luciano Fagundes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 8, 2015

Dan

This seems to be a problem with the application link between the two instances. You might want to recreate the application link to resolve this issue.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA052/Adding+an+Application+Link

Hope it helps!

Cheers

L.F

Dan Landerman September 10, 2015

Thanks for your help. The application owners decided to defer this to the upgrade since it is working there.

Suggest an answer