Who can see the archived projects page in Jira?

John Tocco August 8, 2019

We are currently on Jira Server 7.8.1 and we will be soon moving to the latest major release, 8.3.

The new archiving feature seems like a great addition and will greatly help me in administering our large catalog of projects. When I use the new feature and archive a project, who can see the archived projects page? Is it just viewable by only administrators? Or can anyone see it?

Ideally I would like it to be viewable by anyone so that if they are starting a new project, they can view past issues on similar or related projects for knowledge transfer.

Thanks!

2 answers

1 vote
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 8, 2019

Hello,

If you use the new feature to archive a project, then issues in these projects will not be visible in JQL to anyone and no one can perform queries on such issues. But you can view the issues by direct link /browse/ISSUE-KEY.

Thanks Alexey, I appreciate the answer. I am aware of what happens to the issues. 

In regards to this point, is the Archived Projects page something that I can permission users to see?

• The project will no longer appear in project pickers, list of projects, search results, or JQL auto-complete. It won't be visible anywhere besides the Archived projects page.
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 8, 2019

You can not see the project settings of archived projects. You can not modify permissions.

Another option, which is available, is to archive issues. If you archive issues, you can handle the project settings for non-archived issues.

Is there an Archived Projects options under the Projects menu in Jira or is it only under the administration section?

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 8, 2019

@Alexey Matveev  if user wants to archive the project the way it is done in 7.x.x is it still feasible? Because most of my users don't like the new option in version 8. Sometimes yes you want the project to be archived but sometimes for reference users like to check old archived projects.

Best,

Fadoua

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 8, 2019

@Fadoua Yes, it is still feasible. You can do as you did it in 7.x.x

0 votes
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 8, 2019

@John Tocco 

In Jira 7.x.x once a project is archived it really depends on your jira admin who they decided to grant permission to the project.

Project Permission Scheme is where usually an Admin decides who will be able to see the project. May be by enabling the Browse Project permission to all users they will be able to see the Archived Project.

It is really up to the Admin.

Best,

Fadoua

Suggest an answer