Where can I find more velocity templates for Jira emails?

Mark McD May 31, 2011

I'd like to re-do some of the internal emails that Jira sends out to put the most useful & important information front & center.

I figure I can't be the first person to try & tackle this task, are there any places where I can find examples around? If not, does anyone have any examples they could share?

4 answers

8 votes
Andreas Knecht
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 1, 2011

Or you may want to wait until JIRA 4.4 ships (soon). One of our front-end developers did a fantastic job tackling this problem in a 20% project. E-mails now are much cleaner, present important information first, thread in G-Mail and even look good on Mobile devices!

Here's a little spoiler:

4 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 31, 2011

It's difficult to point you to examples when we don't know what you'd like to end up with!

Anything you can generate in text or html, you can do with the email templates. It can be more easy to start with what you want to end up with as plain text, and then slot the velocity in to extract the variables you need from Jira. If you've not worked with velocity before, then I'd take one of the existing .vm files and try re-arranging them first. Take care not to amend the # and $ bits, and you'll find you can re-order your emails any way you like.

Although it's not really examples, it's well worth a read of http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Adding+Custom+Fields+to+Email for the comments (And the body of the doc eases you into email editing too)

1 vote
Jeremy Largman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 1, 2011

There's also Customising Email Content, which might help.

0 votes
vthoule minyaa.net
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 31, 2011

Hi Mark,

Take a look on Minyaa Core plugin. It extends JIRA in order to implement your own Event Mail Template in your own plugin.
See below links :

An implementation has been done in Minyaa Time for Timesheet Notifications

Regards

Vincent

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events