When using GreenHopper, what is a good baseline for Story Points...1-10?

Danny Riley September 11, 2012

Question asked during the August 30th, 2012 webinar titled "Improving Processes with Scrum and Kanban"

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jay Barra
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 11, 2012

I tend to like Fibonnaci numbers

1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34 and 55 as the top. Anything over 55 probably is too large of a project that can be tackled in a sprint.

0 votes
Ryan C Meinzer October 9, 2012

We use the somewhat typical X-small, Small, Medium, Large, X-Large, ??? approach during the estimation game. Then I translate that to 2,4,8,16,32. 32 is too big for us to get into a sprint, we do 1 week sprints, so we break it down. 16 we usually break down as well. Anything over 32 is an epic and needs to be broken down.

0 votes
Nicholas Muldoon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 12, 2012

Hi Danny,

I'm with Jay on this one. Fibonnaci numbers work well for sorting out the relative effort of a story - you don't have an argument about whether it is a 5 or a 6, instead it's a question of "is it a 5 or an 8?".

One way to start is to select a user story that the team is fairly confident about how much effort is involved. Estimate this using fibonnaci and call it a 3 or a 5, for instance, then you can proceed with estimating other stories using that issue as an indication.

Thanks Danny,
Nicholas Muldoon
@GreenHopperTeam

0 votes
Justin Corcoran
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 11, 2012

As Jay's answer probably points out, this question is very vague. What does a story point mean for your team? Are they hours, days, weeks, etc? And regardless, it really has nothing to do with GreenHopper.

Suggest an answer