What permission needed to select a filter for a Structure synchronizer?

Greg Bryant March 10, 2014

One of the people in the office, who is in the group jira-administrators, and also in a group we created called structure-administrators that should have free run of Structure, created their first structure today. I was helping them go through the steps, and they first added a synchronizer for subtasks (successfully), then went to add a sync on a filter. However, when they click on the "select" link to select the filter, it pops up the "you are not authorized, please log in with an authorized account" window. It's his structure, and he was able to add the sub-task sync with no problems, so what permission is needed to select a filter? No one else has seen this (though only a couple folks have created structures so far).

I did have them create a filter specifically for this structure, so I know they can create and access filters, too.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Igor Sereda [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 13, 2014

Greg, could you please attach a screenshot of this problem or send it to support@almworks.com?

Structure uses the default Filter Picker from JIRA - if it doesn't work, then most probably this user does not have permissions to select a filter in other places, such as on the Dashboard gadgets that show filter results. I'm not sure at this time what permission should be revoked to get that error message - probably "Create Shared Objects" global permission - you might want to check if it is granted to jira-administrators.

Igor

Greg Bryant March 14, 2014

That was the one ("Create Shared Objects"). It was given to jira-users, but not jira-administrators. Philosphical discussion about whether to add the permission to the admin group, or the user group to the user (or why Jira won't let you select your own filter without that permission) is left as an exercise for the reader.

Thanks Igor.

Igor Sereda [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 18, 2014

Greg, thanks for the update! I agree the permission system in JIRA may be counter-intuitive when it much differs from default (such as having accounts who are jira-administrators but not jira-users).

Suggest an answer