What kind of differences between system and project administrators ?

Christophe Leite October 10, 2013

Hello all,

I wonder what were the differences between this two sorts of administrators into JIRA ?

Is there an article or a piece of documentation about that topic ?

Because, I'll be interested in creating 2 distinct groups : one with JIRA full access, an other I could use in Permissions Scheme to give him some specific permissions into a project.

Thanks a lot,

Christophe

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 10, 2013

project administrators can only assign people to roles, edit project versions and components.

JIRA administrators (full JIRA access) on the other hand are divided into administrators and system administrators. See this doc for further explanations:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Global+Permissions#ManagingGlobalPermissions-About'JIRASystemAdministrators'and'JIRAAdministrators'

<th>

JIRA System Administrators

Permission to perform all JIRA administration functions.
(Warnung) This does not include the JIRA Users permission. A user with JIRA System Administrators will be able to log in to JIRA without the JIRA Users permission, but may not be able to perform all regular user functions (e.g. edit their profile) unless they also belong to a group that has the JIRA Users permission.

JIRA Administrators

Permission to perform most JIRA administration functions (see list of exclusions below).
(Warnung) This does not include the JIRA Users permission. A user with JIRA Administrators will be able to log in to JIRA without the JIRA Users permission, but may not be able to perform all regular user functions (e.g. edit their profile) unless they also belong to a group that has the JIRA Users permission.

Cheers Christian

Richard Cross May 19, 2016

What's the difference between the two levels of JIRA Admin... beyond "most" and "all"?

Suggest an answer