What is the value of a Story Point?

herbowicz September 18, 2018

Is there a clear and simple guidance on that?

(pls remove if duplicate).

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Gabriele Franck
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 18, 2018

Hey @herbowicz

Story points are used to roughly score similarly difficult stories with the same number. Through this, how much effort is required and how much effort can be accomplished by the team in a given sprint can be predicted, measured and improved over time. The more story points done in a sprint, the faster your team is going.

While time estimation involves giving an estimate for how much active time is spent on a given story. It also requires people in the team to log work. Given the number of people in the team you know how many hours may be spent in a given sprint. (working hours per week * number of people in the team)

If your team wants to focus on Velocity - use story point

If your team wants to focus on Estimate Accuracy - use time estimation.

Let me know if this short explanation makes sense to you about story points!

Gabi

herbowicz September 18, 2018

Thanks Gabi for this explanation. Very informative.  I'll take it into consideration when evaluating my current and future tasks. Also, I wasn't aware of this Estimate Accuracy alternative. Thank you for your prompt reply. 

Gabriele Franck
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 18, 2018

You're welcome, Greg!

Happy to know it helped you :D

1 vote
Gabriel Muller
Atlassian Team
September 21, 2018

Along with Gabrielle's explanation, here you can find some interesting information about story point and estimation:

If you like you can also see other interesting articles at https://www.atlassian.com/agile.

Hope it helps.

herbowicz September 27, 2018

Thanks Gabriel for the useful links.

Suggest an answer