What is the new "location" field that has appeared on the kanban board General admin screen for?

Hilary Boyce
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 6, 2017

This new field has just appeared under administrators and there is no indication of it's purpose and I can't find anything in the help pages.

2 answers

2 votes
Deleted user September 11, 2017

Hi,

This change might be good "if your project has multiple boards."`as you say. But for the situation where you have multiple projects in a board, this change makes no sense - setting a project location for a multi-project board. Is there any way to disable this option or set the 'location' to be every project in the board?

Thanks

Ian

Hilary Boyce
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 14, 2017

It also doesn't help that the projects aren't listed in alphabetical order.  When you have hundreds of them finding the right one is a challenge.

1 vote
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 7, 2017

Hi Hilary,

I had to do some digging on this one too, however, here is what one of the Cloud Engineers showed me in the JIRA Software changes Migration Hub:

Locations for boards

In the new JIRA experience, boards now have a location — and the location of a board is the project that contains that board. This makes it easier for your to stay within project context while viewing work that's specific to your board — especially if your project has multiple boards.

For the most part, you won't notice this change, since we'll automatically choose the most logical location for your boards. Don't worry, you can still change this location as you see fit. However, one change you'll notice is that when you're creating a new board, you'll need to select a location for that board.

Hopefully that clears things up!

Cheers,

Branden

Deleted user September 11, 2017

Sorry, accidentally posted an answer rather than replying to yours...

Antônio Duarte November 22, 2017

Please, retype the hyperlink. It doesn't lead to the correct documentation page!

And the Atlassian explanation, also, is not so clear. I didn't see any benefits using this parameter.

Can someone try to explain it with some examples?

Thanks a lot.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events