What is the new "location" field that has appeared on the kanban board General admin screen for?

This new field has just appeared under administrators and there is no indication of it's purpose and I can't find anything in the help pages.

2 answers

Hi,

This change might be good "if your project has multiple boards."`as you say. But for the situation where you have multiple projects in a board, this change makes no sense - setting a project location for a multi-project board. Is there any way to disable this option or set the 'location' to be every project in the board?

Thanks

Ian

It also doesn't help that the projects aren't listed in alphabetical order.  When you have hundreds of them finding the right one is a challenge.

0 vote

Hi Hilary,

I had to do some digging on this one too, however, here is what one of the Cloud Engineers showed me in the JIRA Software changes Migration Hub:

Locations for boards

In the new JIRA experience, boards now have a location — and the location of a board is the project that contains that board. This makes it easier for your to stay within project context while viewing work that's specific to your board — especially if your project has multiple boards.

For the most part, you won't notice this change, since we'll automatically choose the most logical location for your boards. Don't worry, you can still change this location as you see fit. However, one change you'll notice is that when you're creating a new board, you'll need to select a location for that board.

Hopefully that clears things up!

Cheers,

Branden

Sorry, accidentally posted an answer rather than replying to yours...

Please, retype the hyperlink. It doesn't lead to the correct documentation page!

And the Atlassian explanation, also, is not so clear. I didn't see any benefits using this parameter.

Can someone try to explain it with some examples?

Thanks a lot.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Jun 14, 2018 in Jira Service Desk

How the Telegram Integration for Jira helps Sergey's team take their support efficiency to the bank

...+ reading Fantasy). The same is true for him at the bank he works for: Efficiency is key when time literally equals money. Read on to learn how Sergey makes most of the time he has by...

419 views 2 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you