What happens when customer sends JIRA service desk request from an email that is not registered?

John Walker June 25, 2017

On the service desk that we use to communicate with customers, we can register customer's emails into the system.

If an email arrives from a registered customer, the request is logged and they get an automated response to let them know we are 'on it'.

But, what happens if the customer accidentally sends a support request from an unregistered email?

If the system is set up to only allow requests from registered emails, the request would not be logged. 

However, they won't know that the request is not logged and may get annoyed if no one gets back to them.

Ideally they would get an automated response saying you are not registered with us instead of 'radio silence'.

So, what happens when a customer sends a request to Service Desk, via email, from an unregistered address?

The docs on "Who can send requests?" seem to ignore the fact that anyone can, technically, send a request to the service desk. Whether the request is actually handled is a different matter.

1 answer

0 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 26, 2017

Hi John,

There are two Suggestions that match what you're trying to do.  You can find the first one at JSD should send reply or notification when mail handler cannot create or update issue - JSDSERVER-818.  More specific to your request is Reply email to users who don't have Service Desk accounts and public signup is disabled, instead of silently ignoring those emails - JSDSERVER-988.

Please vote on the two issues, particularly JSDSERVER-988 and add your use case to the comments.  When you vote on the issue you will be notified when there is an update including a fix/workaround.

Cheers,

Branden

John Walker June 26, 2017

Thanks Branden,

I am new to JSD so was unaware of these burning issues.

I can understand why JIRA don't like the idea of sending out emails to any one who writes - massive potential for encouraging attacks from malicous users. But, yes. The fact that a customer gets no response is a big problem. I guess we got to look at what is stopping JIRA from implementing this as well as why it is needed.

I have upvoted those issue you sent and I will add my thoughts to them.

Suggest an answer