What happens to the velocity (and other) reports if issues move to a different project?

Rebecca Lewis May 13, 2022

We are considering taking a JIRA project that is too big and splitting it into several new projects. Does anyone know what happens to the out-of-the-box JIRA reports if issues change projects? Do they remain intact or would that history be changed/lost once the issues move to the new project? I am wondering specifically for the Velocity Report, but knowing the answer for all reports generally would be good. 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 13, 2022

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Jira is a lot stronger on reporting the current state of issues over historical reports.  Moving issues from one place to another will not damage the data you have for them (unless you've configured target projects to not contain fields that the source projects do), but it is going to affect all of your reporting.  "Show me a list of cars registered with owners in Leeds" is going to give you different result after a load of people move to Newcastle.

The Velocity charts might be ok, but it very much depends on how your Scrum boards are set up.  If they use a simple "Project = X", then yes, moving issues out of project X could change them.  But the historical ones work more off "sprint was Y", and moving an issue to a different project *might* not affect that!

Rebecca Lewis May 16, 2022

Thank you, I figured it may be the type of thing I couldn't know 100% until it happens. 

Suggest an answer