What do I need for a standalone JIRA on a server?

lokaal applicatiebeheer ICT November 26, 2014

I would like some more information for a standalone JIRA instalment on a local server. Kindly I would like to know what is required for the total package for installation, cost and time . And asking if it can be done independently or whether it should be done by someone from Atlassian. Currently we have JIRA in the CLoud.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Diego Zarpelon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 27, 2014

Hello.

In a nutshell JIRA installation is just as simple as Nic has said. But there's some points that needs attention. Basically what you need to decide before you're doing that is the following:

•  Which kind of database are you going to use? PostgreSQL, MySQLMSSQL or Oracle, please note that there's specific steps for each one, please review the links provided for each one.
  •  Regarding the installation itself the only thing would be decide if you're going to use a Windows or Linux machine as they have somewhat different configurations.
  • As you're coming from OnDemmand please review the steps necessary for it here
  • If you will have external access it would be a good security measure to configure JIRA to use SSL.

Also, please bear in mind that having JIRA installed on your environment will need some administrative task to be made ( as backups, configuration and so on) that you might not have at the Cloud instance.

I know that's a lot of documentation but to make sure you have the best experience it's good to review them all before you migrate from OnDemmand and make the best environmental decisions.

Hope that this helps.

Diego Zarpelon

lokaal applicatiebeheer ICT November 28, 2014

Currently we are using JIRA Cloud version. And we want to figure out what's more suitable for our purposes within our organization. There for we want to test JIRA on a standalone server.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 28, 2014

Just need to download it and install it. The more recent versions will even do most of the "get an evaluation licence" work with you as they run.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 26, 2014

It's a 10 minute install, you can do it yourself with the installers you can download.  

Atlassian won't do an install for you, it's not their field.  Partners/Experts will be happy to install it for you, for their usual fees, but a standard installation really is very easy - follow the documentation. 

Once you have it installed, you can download your data from the Cloud and import it.

All of this is in the standard documentation.

Thanks for this quick response. Where can I find this documentation?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 26, 2014

Are there other costs involved for switching from JIRA cloud to a server?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 26, 2014

You will need server licences, your own hardware and support for it.

Suggest an answer