What are the exact implementation details of JIRA smart querying?

So, I see this message if I start a search from the built-in search box on the top right-hand side.

smart.PNG

I know that it matches project keys, issue types, and some other reserved word lists, like statuses. What else triggers a smart query though? I can't find any Atlassian documentation on this feature.

We have a large instance that demands searching to find tickets and it's easy to miss this notice.

---

Even more importantly, is there any easy way to prevent a smart query from that search box? I tried double and single quotes and JIRA still manipulates my search criteria.

1 answer

Good find! I still don't see any information on preventing it, except to use the Simple Search form (and that's so many clicks away).

As far as I know, there is no way to permanently turn it off. I suspect it is only good for your current search. https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/26818/turning-smart-search-on-and-off https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-32117

Please, JIRA, turn this off. Every search I run -- search, no results. Oh, turn off smart query, get results. Smart systems are for Microsoft, not for JIRA users. If you want to support special syntax in your search, support it, but don't change the way you implement a standard search.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Nov 27, 2018 in Portfolio for Jira

Introducing a new planning experience in Portfolio for Jira (Server/DC)

In the past, Portfolio for Jira required a high degree of detail–foresight that was unrealistic for many businesses to   have–in   order to produce a reliable long-term roadmap. We're tur...

2,645 views 18 21
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you