Web browsers which are compatible with JIRA

Faiza Zafar-Akbas February 14, 2012

Hallo everyone,

I think I have a pretty simple question, but unfortunately I am unable to find an answer...

I would like to know why JIRA is only compatible with certain web browsers. What is the technology behind it?

3 answers

2 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 14, 2012

It would be great if Atlassian fronted up and said that at least some of its products, eg Greenhopper and Crucible are not really compatible with IE8. Would help in the continual battle to get a modern browser into corporate environments.

Or at the very least, they could say it's usable but the experience is severely degraded using IE8.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 14, 2012
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 14, 2012

Right, they say nothing about IE8 being a poor 4th or 5th choice for use with the products.

0 votes
Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 14, 2012

Usual stuff: CSS, jQuery, which means javascript (actually a atlassianified version of it). Google OpenSocial which again means javascript.

You should ask a more relevant question, like, why is not Jira compatible with X. It is a very general question.

Surely Jira is not going to provide support for browsers made a mundo conditio.

Faiza Zafar-Akbas February 14, 2012

True, it was very generally asked..

I would like to know why JIRA is not compatible with Opera or SeaMonkey?

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 14, 2012

Possibly just because they haven't tested with it, more than it definitely doesn't work. Try it.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 14, 2012

It works fine in Opera for me. Generally, it's coded to standard, so browsers that are good at standards tend to work quite well. As Jamie says, it's mostly because they don't test much for other browsers, because most users are on one of the big three.

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 14, 2012

JIRA uses Javascript to render most of its UI elements. It has its own library (AUI) extended from jQuery and any JS library is dependent on browsers. It is difficult to test the app in all web browsers but they have done it on the major ones for the heavily used versions.

There is a good chance that most of the functionlity will work on all browsers but it is something that you will have to test for yourself. Watch out for some rendering issues if you are working on an old browser like IE6!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 14, 2012

Bear in mind you shouldn't be using IE6 - it's not supported by the vendor any more and is known to be insecure.

Suggest an answer