Want to save 16 hours when you export worklog data from Jira?

Catherine Chang
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 11, 2020

Hey everyone!

I'm the PM on the Jira Cloud for Spreadsheets team. We've been quietly working on a feature that will let you very easily export all of your worklog data so that you can:

• Create project bills & invoices for your clients 
  • Figure out how much to pay your employees or
  • Track how much time your teammates are spending on their work

Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 12.11.49 PM.pngP.S. This functionality is also available on Excel as well!

Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 12.04.34 PM.png

Once you've imported the data, you can refresh the data using our refresh feature to ensure that all the worklog info gets automatically updated!

5 answers

2 votes
YC Lian _ServiceRocket_ May 20, 2020

Hey Catherine,

Dropping a note to thank you and your team. I have been using this add-on in the past few months to solve different problems (e.g. gaining insights on multiple service desks), and today, I learned that it has solved the long desired Jira feature: getting time log of individuals within a specific period.

I'm happy to drop you guys/girls some beer if you can write to my email.

Cheers.

1 vote
Patrice Bazerque November 9, 2021

Hi , I m trying to get monthly overviews of our worklogs through the sheet Addon.

Typical usecase : produce a report of epic spent times by Project / Epic / month

However it seems that filtering using JQL can only filter the issues, and not the worklogs

As we have long-standing epics , when I query recently updated epics  I get all worklogs from previous years , resulting in *timeouts* and un-necessary huge data in sheets.

I would need a way to get only recent worklogs , just as a direct usage of startedAfter ( https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/rest/v3/api-group-issue-worklogs ) would allow.

PS: thx to the team for this otherwise awesome add-on !

0 votes
Angela Plater August 7, 2020

Hey Jira Cloud for Sheets Team

Thank you for this integration!

Quick Question - how long does it generally take to get early access to this awesome functionality after signing up for it? Is there a notification I should be looking for? Is there a difference between individual user request vs domain install?

Thank you!

Catherine Chang
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 11, 2020

Hi @Angela Plater ,

The functionality has been released and you should be able to select worklog fields as you wish.

Thanks,

CatherineScreen Shot 2020-08-11 at 11.57.47 AM.png

Like Antonio Delgado Prieto likes this
Angela Plater August 12, 2020

@Catherine Chang Awesome! Thank you!

0 votes
Thomas Lübbeke April 25, 2020

Hi, will this work with the data from tempo timesheets as well?

AlexC
Atlassian Team
May 19, 2020

Hi Thomas,

It will show some worklog related fields from Tempo such as time spent and created/updated date, but Tempo also seems to store part of its data outside of Jira which our add-on does not access.  Give it a shot ... it may have enough data for you to run the type of reports you need.

Thanks,

Alex

Foulques de Moncade July 31, 2020

From my experiences with Jira API, tempo seems to use jira worklogs as Jira would; so you should get what you need from it. 

0 votes
Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 11, 2020

"save 16 hours" - how many issues and how many worklogs is this measure for?

Sara Dubuque
Atlassian Team
February 11, 2020

Hi Matt!

16 hours is an estimate based on some of our customer interviews. They said that the manual work they were doing to get worklog data, transform it into something useful to them, and do various calculations was taking them about 16 hours a week. This update allows them to skip those initial steps and saves a lot of time. 

The actual worklog data import itself only takes a few moments. 

If you give it a try, let us know how it works for you!

-Sara

Like Catherine Chang likes this

Suggest an answer