Value selected from a single choice select list changes when issue is created.

Ken Wood
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 22, 2019

User selects value A from a single choice select list.

When the issue is created, the value shown on the view issue screen is value B, not value A.

I've checked, there is NOT a post-function on the create transition that sets the value to B.

Where else can jira set/change the value of a custom field if there is not a post function on the transition that is doing it. I.e. Where should I focus my investigation?

Jira 7.8.1

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ken Wood
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 5, 2019

Found the problem - the create screen was using a custom field called "request source" but the view and edit screens were using a custom field "requested source" - so the user was selecting a value from ONE custom field at creation time, but a DIFFERENT custom field was displayed on the view/edit screens. Because the two custom field names were so similar and had the same options, mass confusion resulted...

0 votes
Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 23, 2019

Hi @Ken Wood 

Try rebuilding your indexes. Out of sync indexes can cause differences between database values and displays

Ken Wood
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 25, 2019

I'm doing a background re-index now, later today I can check to see if that resolved the problem.

Ken Wood
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 26, 2019

After a re-index, problem is still there.

Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 26, 2019

Is this only on issue creation?

Can you correct in by editing?

Could you post screen shots of what you see on issue create?

( something obvious that once fooled me - if you're viewing an issue, and the go through create process, the new issue is not displayed to you, just the original issue you were viewing)

Ken Wood
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 26, 2019

Yes, it happens at issue creation. When I view the newly created issue I can then edit the field to set it back to the value that was selected from the select list during issue creation. When I create the issue I select the value 'Solutions Deployment" from the select list named "Requested Source". As soon as I go to the newly created issue, I see the value is "Customer Operations":

CO.PNG

Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 26, 2019

Do you have any automation in place? Although i would expect it to leave traces in the history.

do you have access to log files ( you can download them via trouble shooting support.zip)

cant suggest much else without being on your system.

Ken Wood
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 26, 2019

There is no automation that I'm aware of. The server is locally hosted so I can access the logs directly. Not sure what to look for but I didn't see anything about this specific custom field.

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 22, 2019

It'd be good to check the Issue History to see if the field is being set after the issue is created originally. If it is being changed (you'll see a separate entry where that field is being set), then this could be an Event Listener or an external service operating from Webhooks.

Ken Wood
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 22, 2019

When I created the issue, I selected "Solutions Deployment" from the drop down.

When I looked at the issues immediately after it was created, the value somehow had changed to "Customer Operations". 

The history only shows one event, and that's when I edited the issue to change the custom field value back to the value I selected originally.

So, good call, I should have checked that earlier, but sadly the only history I see is me editing it.

Field                        Original Value                                 New Value

Requested Source  Customer Operations [ 15077 ]      Solutions Deployment [ 15076 ]

Suggest an answer