Using default issue types with a new workflow

Susan Barnes
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 20, 2011

We recently acquire JIRA, GreenHopper and Bonfire. I have created my projects and issues using the default issue types, but I realized that the default workflow is really insufficient for our business. I created a new workflow, but I cannot figure out how to set the issue types to use this new workflow. I would like to be able to set the workflows for these globally, such that I will not need to create new issues types, and then create new issues using these.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Steve Tuscher December 20, 2011

Hi Susan - try the following from

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/23185/how-do-i-use-a-different-workflow-on-an-issue-than-the-project-default?page=1#25603

Follow these steps to use different workflows for different issues in the same project:

In Administration mode

1. Create your new workflow
2. Click workflow schemes
3. Click Add workflow scheme
4. Give it a name and description and click Add

Here's the critical part
5. Click Assign a workflow. Now associate an issue type with a specific workflow. In our case I created a new workflow for Bugs and linked it to the issue type Bug.

6. Continue assigning workflows to issues until you have the workflow scheme you like. Be sure to add a default workflow for "All Unassigned Issue Types".

Another critical part:
To actually use your new workflow scheme, you need to assign it to a project. This is the part conceptually I had trouble with, but as people had told me, it really does provide some interesting flexibility.

7. Select the project you want to use this scheme for.
8. Click "more" in the Workflows section of the summary admin page
9. In the upper right corner there is a drop down labeled "Actions". Click it and select "Use a different scheme"
10. Now select you new workflow scheme and click "Associate"
11. Repeat for all projects you want to use the new workflow scheme.

Susan Barnes
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 20, 2011

Steve,

First, thanks for the response! I finally understood what you meant. I had to first make my scheme inactive. Then I had to delete the issue types with the associated jira workflow, before re-adding those types back in with my new workflow. Then, I associated each project with my scheme in order to incorporate the new workflows.

Suggest an answer