Using Jira to manage multiple step processes

Sara Mirabito November 20, 2017

Hi there,
I'm wondering if anyone has found a good way to manage multiple step processes that involve multiple people and deliverables. We're using a stories and sub-tasks and a workflow for updating content and translations. Some of the issues I'm seeing: If people only follow their assigned subtasks they lose sight of the bigger picture and miss changes. When 40 or 50 files get updated into Jira it becomes too difficult to manage especially iterations, therefore we use SharePoint. Changes in SP have to be manually updated in Jira. Seeing parent-child relationships between Epics, Stories and Sub-tasks is not visual. It is time consuming to create more subtasks as projects grow. If one piece of content has 5 sub-tasks I can't isolate them. I end up with a list of 50 subtasks and have to go through the entire list to figure out which sub-task belongs to which piece of content. There are different teams using the same Jira story and there's no easy way to discern one team from another's list of subtasks and flow. 
Ideally I would like to see a visual representation like a kanban board that represents each piece of content and the stage it's in and a direct connection to that piece of content, then also be able to get a summary so that I don't have to dig through 50 sub-tasks to see where in the process the project stands. Any ideas? Add ins? 

1 answer

0 votes
Egor Tasa [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 21, 2017

Hi Sara,

If I may be so bold, I would suggest trying out our app - Structure. At the very least it provides a good visualization of issue links and a visual style of manipulating the issue values, dependencies and ranking. There are also multiple features in Structure that can complement visualization of hierarchy, like summing up various values and progress, calculating average and minimum/maximum. If you'd like we can provide a demonstration on how usecases similar to yours can be managed via Structure, and address your specific requirements while we are at it.

Kind regards,
Egor Tasa
ALM Works Support

Sara Mirabito November 22, 2017

Thanks! I will check it out.

Suggest an answer