User picker autocomplete not working

Marvin Street November 4, 2012

I have multiple users that are having a problem with assigning issues to other users. When typing letters of the name into the Assign To field, only handful of select users show up. And it does not search the user that matches the username being typed in.

I have confirmed that the proper users are in the assignable group; the assigning user is in the Assign Issues group; and I have verified that jira-users all have permission to Browse Users globally. As an administrator, I'm able to use this function completely across the board. But, it does not work for selected other users, even though it appears all permissions are setup properly.

6 answers

1 vote
John Chin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 5, 2012

Hi Marvin,

For other case that cause the user picker not working, please refer to the following knowledge base:

Cheers,

John

0 votes
David Skreiner
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 9, 2015

This still happens: I can select a user in the "user picker" (horrible UI btw), but nothing happens when I click on "Select User(s)."

0 votes
Duncan Kinnear November 12, 2012

We have the same problem running version 5.1.3, but I've figured out why it's doing it (although I don't know how to switch it off)

If I get an issue create by Bob, and I try to re-assign it back to Bob after fixing the issue (we have a 'Testing' phase in our custom workflow), then Bob does not appear in the list and won't autocomplete. However, all the other users (except me) are in there. I can enter Bob's entire name and save the issue, tho.

If I get an issue from Liz, the same thing happens with her.

It seems that JIRA is making an executive decision that an issue cannot be assigned back to the reporter. It is making some 'intelligent' decision about who I can assign the issue to.

What we want to know is how to switch off this behaviour! In a small company like ours (about 20 people) it doesn't make any sense at all.

Marvin Street November 18, 2012

I'm currently working with Atlassian on looking into this issue. I'll report back with whatever solution we find.

0 votes
Gerard Dens November 5, 2012

I had similar issues and it appears that outdated browser where used. One of my users was using firefox 3.6.x and this is a supported browser. Update of firefox solved the issue,

0 votes
Derrick Taylor David November 4, 2012

Please reply back with version of Jira installed and the list of the browsers they are s

0 votes
Derrick Taylor David November 4, 2012

Please reply back with version of Jira installed and the list of the browsers they are using. I am currrently running Jira 5.1 and my users who use FireFox experience the same issue. I believe there is a fix in a later 5.1.X version

Suggest an answer