Upgrade from JIRA 7.3.6 to 7.6.0

Imdad KP February 26, 2018

Hi All,

I am planning to upgrade Jira 7.6.0 from 7.3.6. What are all the main steps I have to take care.

We are using DB as postgres72.

Can I go 7.3.6 to 7.6.0 with one upgrade?

Thanks,

Imdad KP

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 26, 2018

Hi Imdad KP,

These are the main steps you need to take note of when before you upgrade your Jira. 

1. Back up your current Jira instance (in case roll back is needed)
  2. Upon upgrade, make sure your customizations are re-applied such as JVM parameters and heap memory -
    1. setenv.sh (if using Linux), setenv.bat (if using Windows and starting from bat file), or change services properties by following instructions here if starting Jira as a service on Windows - Setting-properties-and-options-on-startup - Settingpropertiesandoptionsonstartup-Windowsservice
    2. server.xml customization if you have proxy/SSL involved.
  3. Upgrade your third party plugins to be compatible with the new version.

The above are the main gotchas especially heap memory settings and any JVM parameters you may have changed from defaults in your previous Jira instance.

If you have access to a staging environment, I would say do the upgrade and test there first so you can iron out any issues before applying it to a production instance.

Can I go 7.3.6 to 7.6.0 with one upgrade?

Yes you can go directly from 7.3.6 to 7.6.0.

Happy upgrading!

Thanks @Dave for your quick reply.

I forgot to mention that we are running Jira Data Center on AWS. There are anything special on that scenario?

Thanks,

Imdad KP

Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 26, 2018

Imdad KP,

Same rules will apply for customizations such as heap memory, JVM parameters but will need to be applied for each node.

However, upgrading Jira Data Center is a little different since it involves multiple nodes, do check out this page Upgrading-jira-data-center which has comprehensive steps for Jira Data Center upgrades.

Thanks @Dave:)

Dave
Atlassian Team
February 26, 2018

No problems @Imdad KP, hope all goes well with the upgrade, I'll mark this as answered :)

Imdad KP March 1, 2018

@DaveYes:)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events