Upgrade from 7.4 to 8.9.1 - I bought a 10 user *permanent* license, but not the case anymore?

David M Patterson
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 22, 2020

Hello Hivemind!

I bought a 10-user permanent license years ago (with 7.4) of JIRA. Now, I decided to upgrade to 8.9.1 and it wants me to buy a new license. I thought the old one was permanent. I don't care about Atlassian Support, because I have you! <3 (and StackOverflow, too). Has this always been the case on these licenses (eg: you have to remain at the original version and not allowed to upgrade)? 

Thanks! 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 22, 2020

"Permanent" is not quite the same as "Perpetual".

The Perptual licence you bought lets you use any version of Jira that was released before the end of the licence.  So you can always get to your data and run an accessible Jira system.

But it does not cover maintenance, one part of which is "later versions".

So to move to 8.9, you're going to need a new licence.  (After a year lapsed maintenance, it's cheaper, quicker, and just as functional to simply buy a new one, rather than try to pick up the "missed" maintenance)

Suggest an answer