Upgrade JIRA from 5.1.4 to 6.1

Mary-An ylanan December 10, 2013

Hi,

We are planning to upgrade our existing JIRA 5.1.4 to 6.1 version. I have read through the 6.1 documentation but here are some clarifications:

1. Pricing - our number of users will still be the same, do we need to buy new license or just the maintenance renewal?

2. Can we directly upgrade to 6.1 and skip other versions like 5.2 & 6.0? Will there be pre-requisite from those skip versions for upgrade?

3. Are those improvements/changes in 5.2 & 6.0 also exists in 6.1?

Appreciate any help here.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 10, 2013

If your license is current then you can upgrade without any additional cost. If you license is out of date then you need to pay. Check with Atlassian on the price if your license is out of date.

I do not suggest upgrading without going through 5.2 and 6.0 even though it should be possible.

There are features that were added and removed. I would suggest upgrading on a test environment and then you can check for the features you are concerned about. For example, Altassian removed the history jql list. I know for one of my clients they are not upgrading because that feature is missing. Atlassian changed the definition for issue keys. This caused a major database upgrade process to fit their new requirements.

There are plugins that might need to be bought because they are not free anymore.

Since you just need the verify the feature set, I would just install a trail version and verify the features you care about.

Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 10, 2013
Mary-An ylanan December 11, 2013

Hi Norman, yes our license has been renewed and valid til next year. I am looking at the Upgrade Notes for those skip versions and check any impact in our requirements.

Thanks for your inputs. :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events