Updated Usernames are not reflecting in the exported reports

Vinay Poosa March 9, 2021

Hello Experts,

Recently, in JIRA I have updated a couple of usernames as they were not set as per my standards of using company email IDs as usernames. Even after updating them I still get the old username formats in the exported reports.

Example: My Username was setup as vinay.poosa and I have updated it to vinay.poosa@JIRA.com. When I export my worklog details from JIRA to excel I still see my username as vinay.poosa but not as vinay.poosa@JIRA.com

Am I missing any steps here? Can someone please help with this?

Thanks much in advance.

1 answer

0 votes
Olga Videc
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 9, 2021

Hello @Vinay Poosa 

Have you tried re-indexing?  Your database need's to be "updated" with fresh data, that's why when you make changes you re-index changing your username is one of those.

Here is documentation, but if you are doing this first time I recommend "Background re-index"

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/re-indexing-after-major-configuration-changes-938847716.html

BR, Olga

Hello @Olga Videc firstly appreciate your quick response and you answer your question yes we have performed re-indexing after updating the usernames in JIRA. Thanks.

Also, for a few users, I get their usernames as "JIRAUSER18105" only in the exported excel reports.

Olga Videc
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 9, 2021

Okay, 

Here is a explanation from Atlassian

Quoting Andy Heinzer (Atlassian Team) from https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Wrong-user-name-reference-when-renaming-username/qaq-p/665936

"You are not expected to be able to change this field in the jiraissue table.  Actually the value in the jiraissues table is correct.   I understand why you might believe it to be wrong, but that is because of the way Jira is tracking user account renames.

Jira tracks a user account being renamed inside the app_user table.   When an account is first created in Jira the user_key field is set to match the cwd_user.user_name value.   However after this account is first created, that user_key field is never expected to change in the Jira database.  Regardless of whether or not the username changes, that user_key remains constant for that particular user account.  Instead the app_user.lower_user_name value can change to correspond with the changes in cwd_user table when the user gets renamed, but there are several places within Jira that do not directly refer to the cwd_user table for the user account.  Instead Jira is primarily looking at the app_user.user_key entry for historical records such as which user updated an issue, or executed a transition.   This can also be seen when you look at the issue details view in Jira, if you click on the history tab, this view shows the app_user.user_key field for a username, and not the cwd_user.user_name field.

This way Jira can keep track of historical changes that take place through a specific account, even if that account's name changes over time.  "

You are exporting tempo work logs or standard Jira work logs?

Can you export by full name instead of username?

BR, Olga

@Olga Videc I'm exporting it using WorklogPRO where I don't have any options to export them by full name or username. There is only an option to export excel. See below screenshot.

image.png

Olga Videc
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 11, 2021

Hello Vinay,

Sorry for not responding sooner, I was trying this add -on my self

So I didn't do any changes to the "basic setup", I exported the report to Excel there is a column "Worklog Author(Full Name)" this field/column should contain the author's full name, not the username, can you check your report, please?

BR, Olga

Vinay Poosa March 11, 2021

Hi @Olga Videc No problem. You are correct. When we export the report to an excel file there are two sheets in the file, in the first sheet which is named as 'Worklog" there I see a column called "Worklog Author(Username)" and "Worklog Author(Full Name)" and I get the updated details in these two columns. But, the actual issue is in the second sheet which is named as Users, where the Username is still showing as old or something like JIRAUSER*****, see below screenshot. This is the report which I'm looking for. image.png

Olga Videc
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 11, 2021

Look like app is pulling "user_key" not "app_user.lower_user_name"

When you create a user your user_key is set to your username and it's never going to change in DB when you change your username "app_user.lower_user_name" changes not "user_key" (I know it's not easy to understand) 

Explanation by Atlassian team expert

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Wrong-user-name-reference-when-renaming-username/qaq-p/665936

I'm investigating further, I'll get back to you.

BR, Olga

Olga Videc
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 12, 2021

Hello @Vinay Poosa 

I spoke with dev/support from the WorkLog app, it's a known bug that is already fixed and will be released soon, they expect to release it sometime next week.

The new excel report will contain both username and user_key(this the old username) because of backward compatibility.

What that means is you will see a column containing "old username" but there will also be a column with "new and accurate" usernames, and user's full names will be included.

The bug is fixed in 4.8.2 release, you can expect it sometime next week.

BR, Olga

Olga Videc
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 16, 2021

Hello @Vinay Poosa 

I see version 4.8.2 is available, have you updated your app? 

BR, Olga

Vinay Poosa March 18, 2021

Hi @Olga Videc Thanks much for the updates. Sure, we will get our WorklogPRO updated to the latest version and test this and get back to you next week. Thanks again for your support. Appreciate it.

Suggest an answer