Undo workflow action

Rose Rose October 31, 2011

Hi is there a way to undo a workflow action? For example before I touched the ticket the status was Open and then I pressed start investigating. This is fine until I realized that I was on the wrong ticket! I want to put the status back to Open but I can't seem to figure out a way to do this. Help?

4 answers

1 accepted

14 votes
Answer accepted
Gert-Jan van de Streek
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 4, 2013

The above answers are of course all right, you can extend your workflow with backsteps whereever you want. For some workflows that is great, for others this results in bloated workflows and screens. Some workflows are just meant to be forward only and should not promote the use of back steps.

Remains the problem of 'oops, wrong issue' as initially raised by roseha. If you are looking for straight Ctrl-Z / Undo functionality, the undo transition might be of great value to you.

carmel February 13, 2020

Hi, do you know if this function (Undo transition) is available for cloud as well? I had it in the server version but now that I'm working with cloud I miss this ability very much ):

Gert-Jan van de Streek February 19, 2020

It is not available for cloud. Jira Cloud does not have the API's to make this happen.

3 votes
Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 31, 2011
This is only possible if the workflow allows it. In your case the workflow should have been designed to allow you to transition back to status open using a transition "reopen". Please ask your JIRA administrator to configure this. in workflow designer he just needs to add a transition
Rose Rose October 31, 2011

Thanks Dieter!! Thats awesome! I had to look up how to add a transition to the workflow http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/docs/v3.13/workflow.html#editing looks a little intimidating but I'll give it a try. Thanks again!

Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 31, 2011

Glad i could help you :-) Consider voting for my answer ... ;-)

2 votes
Stephen Hayden
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 1, 2011

You probably want to evaluate adding those transitions wherever it makes sense. For example, a reopen that puts the ticket to open, and clears the resolution. A 'Stop Investigating' to bump a ticket from In Progress back to Open, etc.

We have a couple of queues with only 3-4 steps and you can get to every step from any other step... was part of what the business wanted. Otherwise putting intelligent steps backwards in your workflow where it makes sense will go a long way to making JIRA much more usable for your end users.

0 votes
Todor Katsarov (Sofmobile) November 20, 2020

Hello, 

For anyone interested in such fnctionality you can give a try to Sofmobile Teleport 

Regards,

Todor

Suggest an answer