Undo start and end date updates

Amit Kapoor December 15, 2018

We created a program and it modified the strat and end date of issues it could find. This update was unintentional. We don't use the Start and End date for 95% of the issues that got modified in the process. The program was deleted. However, the start and end date modification still exists. Our default JIRA screen scheme for 95% of issues doesnt show these two dates and we don't use them. Initially, we believe that these dates are BigPicture fields and not JIRA fields.

In any case, is there a way to undo this update across all the issues (4k+). Note that I am project admin of only of the 6 projects that these issues belong to. 

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 15, 2018

Hello,

You can find all such issues with a JQL query, and then Bulk Edit these fields to make these fields empty.

You can find more info about bulk edit here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracoreserver073/editing-multiple-issues-at-the-same-time-861257342.html

Amit Kapoor December 18, 2018

Thank you. My IT team agreed to do this when a consultant suggested the same. :-)

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 18, 2018

You are most welcome!

Ivana Grindlay January 6, 2022

Hi Alexey,

the same thing happened to me when I wanted to try out a new feature for our project. Would you please advise how to roll back the original start dates? We don't use end dates so we could set these blank but adjusted start dates will mess our reporting from Jira. And it also affected our Kanban board. Is there any way to roll back safely please?

1 vote
Ericka Samuels
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 17, 2018

When you installed BigPicture you had to add the Start and End date fields to your scheme.  Any JIRA issue that is part of a BigPicture program will get its Start and End dates populated by default.   (I think it is a duration of one day unless your Original Estimate field is also populated, then BigPicture uses that to set the duration).

You can either do the bulk edit as Alexey suggested, or, just leave the fields there.  If you don't use the fields, and they're not displayed on any screens, is there any negative impact to just leaving them populated?

Amit Kapoor December 18, 2018

Thank you. Yes - the issue might arise when we decide in future to use these fields. We will have to do this activity then. So we have now decided to do it right away :-) .

Suggest an answer