Teams vs Groups, vs teams within Advanced Roadmaps

Thomas Björklund April 14, 2022

Hi, 

There are a lot of ways Jira uses Teams, and none seem to do the same thing. 

There are Groups, within the user management portion of the Admin portal. These are fairly self explanatory. 

Then there are Teams, 

Click People, Add Team..

Go in to Advanced Roadmaps and sort by Team, or Add a Team here.. 
Then either create a new Team, or add one from an existing Shared Team.

none of the Teams seems to be the same thing..

Can anyone explain the use case here and why I can't just use Groups for these purposes? 

1 answer

1 vote
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 15, 2022

Hi @Thomas Björklund

The Team concept was brought it recently and the usage with groups is not integrated. The issue with groups is that only system administrator can set it, which becomes a nightmare if you are a project/product owner and want to manage the team of your own.

You will have to create a new feature request to get votes for this functionality.  Link: https://confluence.atlassian.com/support/implementation-of-new-features-policy-201294576.html

Regards

Thomas Björklund April 18, 2022

What "Team" are you speaking about here? 

Like Oshadhi Vindhyani likes this
Gamal Ardipratama August 1, 2022

@Thomas Björklund im guessing his referring to the Atlassian Team
I think Team is meant for Project level whereas User Groups is more into Jira (permission and such)

Right now is indeed quite confusing as the two of them similar but different. For me User Group covers all what i need (as i am a System Admin) but the only thing that is not is that I cannot mention User Groups within comments. (only Teams can)

Hopefully in the future atlassian will merge these 2 feature together.

Like # people like this
Greg LaViolette February 21, 2023

@Fabian Lim 

I'm not sure how this is a "nightmare" for project/product owners? They'll just put in a request just like they've done for Distribution and Security Groups since the dawn of time. Also, that assumes the Project/Product owner stays the same forever or will accept responsibility for changes for departures/hires to their respective group.

It will be a nightmare for System Administrators, as there will be identical Groups and Teams that will need to be both updated separately.

There should be a way to selectively 'elevate' existing groups to Teams. Then any changes to the Group will replicate to the Team.

Like # people like this
Quinn
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 3, 2023

@Greg LaViolette 

Well said, Greg.

Perhaps a middle ground would be to assign groups in the Admin portal to Teams, much like you can assign groups to product access level.

Antreas Solou March 13, 2024

Hello, was there any feature request opened for this one?

Suggest an answer