Sync two Jira instances - server to cloud

Dominik Notz March 20, 2024

I am researching how to synchronize two Jira instances, one of that in cloud. Sync direction would be unidirectional from server to cloud instance. My current level of information is that Jira has no builtin functionality to do that. So I am looking for add-ons. Probably it will only be possible to install an add-on on cloud instance. I checked some add-ons like Exalate and Backbone, but seems that they always need to be installed on both instances. Does anybody know an add-on which can do the sync with only installing on "client-side"? Are there alternative ways doing that by Jira itself?

3 answers

3 votes
Umer Sohail _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 22, 2024

Hi @Dominik Notz  Thanks for the question. This is Umer, Product Marketing Manager for Backbone Issue Sync. 

You're correct. Jira does not have built-in functionality for cross-instance issue syncing, so you'll need an app like Backbone Issue Sync. 

While most other sync apps require installation on both sides, Backbone is unique in that it also offers a remote licensing option. This enables you to install it solely on one end and sync issues, uni- or bi-directionally, across Jira instances.

Installation is quick and simple using an XML file, and the sync works with full functionality.

One thing to note is that for now, the remote license can't be installed on a Jira Cloud instance; it can only be installed on a DC instance - although you can still sync to Jira Cloud once you have it installed on the DC side. 

We're planning to bring it to Jira Cloud very soon and hope to have it by sometime in Q3 2024.

For further information on Backbone's remote license, go through our landing pageour documentation and submit a request here for a 30-day free trial (since it can't be bought via the marketplace).  

Or simply reply here if you have more questions :) 

Happy Collaborating! 

Dominik Notz April 8, 2024

Thank you very much, Do you have released the cloud-ready version with remote licensing as mentioned coming in the end of first quarter 2024?

Umer Sohail _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 8, 2024

Hi @Dominik Notz, We aim to finish the Cloud-ready version of the remote license in Q3 2024, and it's one of the bigger features we're priortizing in the coming months. 

In case you want to discuss your specific requirements, feel free to book a demo with our Product Manager.

Dominik Notz April 8, 2024

Sorry, I was wrong. Thought to remember it will be Q1 without reading again.

Umer Sohail _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
April 8, 2024

@Dominik Notz No need for apologies! I initially wrote "end of this quarter", which is Q2. After a discussion with the team, I edited it to be clearer and more realistic. 

0 votes
Syed Majid Hassan -Exalate-
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 27, 2024

Hi @Dominik Notz

This is Majid @ Exalate. A very warm welcome to the community!

Your research does sound spot on actually i.e. you will need an integration app, and yes, Exalate will need to be installed on both sides of the integration. Thousands of clients are already using Exalate in exactly that way and the main reason for them adopting this decentralized approach to integration is routed in security and autonomy. If you elaborate a little on the bottleneck with the installation on both ends, maybe I can make a more informed suggestion. 

Please feel free to book a call to talk through the nuances if you prefer. 

Thanks

Majid

0 votes
Diana_Architect_ZigiWave
Marketplace Partner
March 22, 2024

@Dominik Notz hi. Check out ZigiOps. It's a fully no-code integration platform that can easily connect and sync the Jira instances in question (server/cloud), while being installed just on one side (the client's one, for example). ZigiOps is easy to customize to fit different use cases and it's totally safe (zigiops does not store any data).  If you want to explore it - we do have a free trial.

Regards, 

Diana

Suggest an answer