Story -> Sub-task hierarchy

Adrian Lazar August 3, 2016

Hi there,

How can JIRA be configured to enforce hierarchy status? For example, I have a story US_xyz and this story has 3 sub-tasks, A, B, and C. All issues are in a "To Do" state. When a developer starts work on sub-task A they change its status to "In Progress". However, the story's state remains "To Do" instead of updating to "In Progress".

Thanks in advance for your help!

-Adrian

4 answers

1 vote
Jakub Pierzchała
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 3, 2016

Steven is right here. You need to create manual workflow using Misc Workflow Extensions and in all transitions you need for subtask you also need to include Transition Parent step.

You can find it in more detail here:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/129331

0 votes
Adrian Lazar August 4, 2016

Thanks for the feedback all. I'll review and evaluate the mentioned plugins. I am a bit disappointed to see there is no out of the box way of doing this other than to spend more $ to buy another plugin. 

0 votes
Robert Leitch [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 4, 2016

If you have the Structure plugin you can do this with the Status Rollup Synchronizer and a slightly odd-looking order of statuses - 'In Progress' should precede 'Open' and any other statuses that come before it in the workflow. In case of any questions, eugene.helpdesk@almworks.com is great with this.

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 3, 2016

Do you have JIRA Server? Do you have Misc Workflow Extensions?

This isn't an out-of-the-box behavior. 

Suggest an answer