Stories assigned to one team where the Feature is owned by another team.

David Hansen January 5, 2022

Our team supports other teams by completing Stories which we own which are linked to Features that are owned by the other team. I am hoping to find a filter that will allow me to toggle back and forth between three views.

1. All Stories the team owns.
  2. All Stories the team owns both the Story and the Feature.
  3. All Stories the team owns, but does not own the Feature. 

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
David Hansen January 10, 2022

So, this is what I came up with to allow me to sort the results the way I wanted it. 

I created a Static Filter which I called Features Owned by Other Teams with the following JQL:

issueFunction in issuesInEpics("status !=closed and \"Product Family / Product Team\" not in ('your_team_name)\')") AND status != Closed AND "Product Family / Product Team" in ("your_team_name)")

This allows me to turn on the filter to look at just ones owned by other teams. 
I may add a second one that allows me to look at ones just owned by my team. 

0 votes
Edwin Rozie January 10, 2022

Hi @David Hansen ,

If you would consider to use a tool like Ativo Programs, you can get this out of the box for a PI planning.

If you open the sandbox, you can try out the requested views by clicking on:

1. Filter > Team with Filter > Non-epic
  2. Just Filter > Team
  3. Filter > Team and View options > Issues with cross team dependencies

ativo-programs-filters.png

PS: you also want to try out

• Filter > Team and Filter > 'Add linked issues'  to see all the issues of a team, and connections with other teams.

With kind regards,

Edwin Rozie

Ativo.io

David Hansen January 10, 2022

That looks nice. Wish we had that. 

Like Edwin Rozie likes this
0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2022

Hi David,

What do you consider a "view"? Are you using a board to view your issues? If so why not simply define quick filters? You should be able to create JQL filters to represent your three categories.

Jack, 

Yes, we are using a board to view the issues.

That sounds like what I am looking to do, but I do not know how to create a JQL filter that allows me to identify the Features my team owns vs the ones we do not own. 

What field would I use to identify this?

I have solved the issue by exporting the data and creating a report in PowerBI, but I would rather have this done in Jira. To do this, I had to use two tables ("Team" and "Feature Team") to compare against in order to identify if we owned the Story. I have not found any way to recreate this functionality in Jira. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2022

I can't say for sure what the JQL might be. For "owned by the team" I would create a group consisting of all members of the team. Than the GQL for that piece would be something like assignee in membersof(myteam).  For the feature piece maybe you could do something similar and leverage to separate quick filters. For example maybe the following would give you what you're looking for?

Story QF: type = story and assignee in membersof(myteam)

Feature QF: type = feature and assignee in membersof(myteam)

If you toggle both of those quick filters on would it you'll the desirable results?

I like that approach. I will see what I can come up with. 

Thx

Suggest an answer