Sprint and issues not showing in the Backlog

Lea Stjepovic November 24, 2020

Hello, 

I have a Project in Jira Cloud. I created two sprints with issues inside (related to different Epics) and started the first one. At one point in the Backlog view, the second sprint and the Backlog are showing 0 issues. I can only see these under the Epics details.

How did this happen?

Thank you.

4 answers

0 votes
Dario B
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 27, 2020

Hello @Lea Stjepovic ,

I can see you have 2 different instances (a free and a standard one), is the issue occurring on both instances or only one is affected?

Also, can you confirm that:

• The affected project is a Next-Gen project and not a Classic one, as it looks from the screenshot
  • There are not filters in the board settings that could be causing this

I am asking above questions because the issue you are facing might be caused by an incident tracked as: 

As you can see the current status (updated a few hours ago) is the following:

We have identified and fixed the issue. However, the backlog of events which are currently being processed might be causing some inconsistent behaviours for certain users.
Posted 9 hours ago. Nov 27, 2020 - 05:37 UTC

Therefore, it can be enough to just wait over the weekend for the data to be back in sync. 

In case this won't help, and the affected Jira instance is the one having standard license, then I'd suggest to create a ticket with Atlassian Support so that the assigned engineer can access your instance and further investigate:

In case the affected instance is the one having free license instead, then please let me know and I will create a support request on your behalf.

Cheers,
Dario

0 votes
Lea Stjepovic November 27, 2020

I recreated the project and realized that the problem comes up when I start the sprint 1, then the backlog goes empty

0 votes

Thank you, Walter,

no, I have no active filters. I will share a screenshot. Currently, you see in the backlog only the issue that I created just now. On the right, as you can see, when I open the Epic's detail it shows that, for example, one issue is a part of the sprint 2. The issues are not visible in the backlog or in the Sprint 2.

In the previous view, this window had Sprint 1 as it is, Sprint 2 under it, with all the issues, and the Backlog in the bottom with the rest of the issues.

Hope I managed to explain well.

Best,

Lea

Capture copy.png

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 27, 2020

Hi @Lea Stjepovic,

Thx for sharing the screenshots. As you - rightfully - blurred out a lot of information, I'm still not sure what I am looking at.

I guess what I see on the right hand side is a task that belongs to an Epic. And if I understand you correctly, that task is nowhere to be seen, not even on the backlog?

I have tried to simulate your situation in a test instance. My best guess currently is that there is more than 1 A87DC Sprint 2 in your Jira and your issues got connected to another sprint than the one we see here.

To figure out if that may be the case, could you click through on the issue link of the task you had on the right hand side of the screenshot. Then, from the issue view, click on the sprint link in the issue:

Screenshot 2020-11-27 at 12.22.51.png

If clicking the link brings you to another board than the one you started from, most likely your issues have been assigned to a sprint outside of your project. In that case I'd recommend you update the name of your Sprint 2 and reassign the missing issues to the correct sprint.

Dear Walter,

thank you for your reply and sorry for the blurry parts. When I click on the Sprint 2 it takes me to the board where there is only the Sprint 1.

Just now I deleted the sprint 2 that you see in the screenshot, which had no issues listed underneath, and this happened: on the right when I open an issue that was supposed to be a part of the sprint 2, like I did in the screenshot, it is no longer a part of sprint 2. Additionally, the issues I had added a few minutes ago in the backlog, not assigned to any sprint or a part of any Epic, are no longer there!

I am really confused.

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 27, 2020

Yes, but it seems it is the correct board though. If you switch to backlog view on the board, you are in the correct project I assume. Feels like you hit a bug somehow, if you ask me.

I guess what I would do is to create a new sprint, update the sprint value of the issues (from your issues themselves, not from the board since you apparently can't see them there anyway) to the new sprint and see if they appear in the new sprint.

If they do, get rid of the old sprint altogether after the update is complete.

Ok, I'll try that. Thank you for your help!

I still don't get it why the new issues are disappearing from the backlog.

I tried what you suggested. Still, after I add an issue (from the issues panel) to the new sprint 2 that I created it still doesn't show in the backlog, the sprint 2 remains with 0 issues. 

0 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 24, 2020

Hi @Lea Stjepovic,

Welcome to the Community!

Could it be you clicked on an Epic and - as such - filtered you issues? If that's the case, you should see something like this

Screenshot 2020-11-24 at 17.18.55.png

Clicking any clear all filters link should bring back your issues.

If that is not the case, would you mind sharing a screenshot of what you are seeing there?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events