Sorted JQL Filter for epics and member issues

I'd like to create a filter for showing a list of all open Epics with it's issues listed immediately below it. How can I do that?

Creating a JQL filter which displays the epics and its member issues is fairly easy:

"project = SP AND (issuetype = Epic OR "Epic Link" is not EMPTY)"

However, I want to order the search result where the issues belonging to the same epic is grouped together. The problem is that the epic uses the field "Epic name", while the issues use "Epic link" so ordering is difficult. Can I join these two fields into one and put an order on the joined column like you can in SQL?

7 answers

0 votes

Within JQL itself it is not possible to sort in the fashion as you have written in your question.
Depending on the requirements for wanting such a sorting method, there might be different approaches to displaying the data in the way you are looking for.

We also would like to visualize the set of epics and their corresponding stories in a particular release. Any suggestions would be welcome

Me too!  I have been hunting for ways to do this.  It seems very basic I can't believe it is not supported.

Have anybody a solution for this problem? I have the same topic.

-EpicName1
-Issue1
-Issue2
-EpicName2
-issue1
-Issue2
-Issue3

Looking for a way to do this too. In SQL this would be possible with something like:

ORDER BY COALESCE("Epic Name", "Epic Link")

Hey folks, for my needs I found a solution for this in the "Single Level Group By Report", a standard JIRA report. I defined a filter, picked it in the report and set the "Statistic" to be "Epic Link". It works well and I use an iFrame to display it in a Confluence page.

Single Level Group By Report documentation.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,120 views 13 19
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot