Some issues take ages to index

Hi all,

I've got an issue where some issues take over an hour to be indexed. You can view them immediately by using the URL but if you do a search they do not appear (this obviously affects our greenhopper boards too due to them being based on filters).

The main problem is that it's utterly sparadic, doesn't affect a specific user or issue type - it seems to be completely random.

Executing a background index does not solve the problem but a full (locked out) index does. If you leave it a couple of hours they will naturually appear - other users can raise issues in this time period and they will be indexed with no problem.

Our WebSys team have looked at the logs and have give me this entry - none of us know what it means so I'm hoping someone can help out?

catalina.out:2013-07-03 17:56:35,041 localhost-startStop-1 WARN [manager.issue.fields.ManagedFieldConfigurationRestorerImpl] Field 'Epic Status': Option on index '0' was 'New' but we expected to be 'To Do'

It appears to be related to the statuses of epics but I can't see how that's having an affect?

5 answers

1 accepted

It may be related - it depends if anything else can cause the error I guess.

But ignoring all that, the thing that initially caused my problem of issues not being indexed quickly was down to a custom event I put in the workflow.

Rather than having a generic Issue Creation event I put in a custom one (called Bug Created). This was so that I could tune to the notification scheme to notify us of bug creation but not story creation (stories have a seperate workflow which have different event hooks to allow for better notifications).

Anyway, I didn't know that creating a custom even on the Issue Creation transition stripped out the re-index command, so I had to put them in manually.

All of this makes me think the issue you are seeing maybe unlreated to mine.

Having spoken with Atlassian, it appears this is a problem caused by the Suite Utilities plugin so I've added the appropriate tage and contacted them. I want to keep this open here so if a solution is found it can be communicated to other users of Atlassian Answers

I've got the same WARN log:

2013-11-28 22:06:23,678 localhost-startStop-1 WARN [manager.issue.fields.ManagedFieldConfigurationRestorerImpl] Field 'Estado de épica': Option on index '0' was 'Por hacer' but we expected to be 'To Do'

But, we would like to have all field names in english, but they appear in spanish.

Are you having the same issue as well, issues taking ages to index? Because I know what the issue is and how to fix it :-)

I really don't know if our issues are taking ages to index. We have about 40000 issues, so the time it takes isn't excessively high, but maybe the relation (number of issues)/(indexing time) isn't good enough. I really don't know.

How do you fix it? Maybe our problem can be solved in a similar way. Is it related with Jira Agile?

We are experiencing some random CPU spikes that block our Jira instance.

Suggest an answer

Log in or Join to answer
Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,870 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot