Show field on View Issue screen but not on Create Issue screen

Tony Daily February 20, 2013

I have a need to show a field on the View Issue screen, but not have it listed on the Create Issue screen. I have approximately 120 archived issues that I need to import from an old system. Once those issues are imported, I want to have a field on the View Issue screen that shows the issues old key number. I need this field to be viewable for all issue types.

I have created a text field called "Archived Issue Number" to hold this information. Is there a way to only show this field when an issue is being viewed (under 'Details' for example) and not have the field show up when new issues are created?

FYI, I want to keep these issues all in the same project and I need the field to be viewable no matter the issue type.

Thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 20, 2013

Jobin's link is exactly what you need to work from, but it's a bit wordy. You should work through it to find the bits you need, but I don't think it makes it clear because it's (rightly) quite generalised.

Thing is, your question is 95% of the way to answering itself - you already say you want to see a field when you look at an issue, but you don't want to allow it to be entered when editing the issue (and I'd guess, creating the issue in the UI).

That is precisely what Jira's "screen schemes" do. They let you choose a "screen" for the three core activities - there's one screen for "create", one for "edit" and one for "view". You even said you want your field on "view" but not on the other two, and Jira does exactly that. The doc will tell you more.

Tony Daily February 20, 2013

Thanks guys. I must have read through that document 6 or 7 times: A couple of those before I posted the question. For some reason this screen stuff just wasn't clicking with me. But, after you two pointed me back to it I stumbled through the steps and realized that, while I had created the screens and schemes I needed, I never opened the project administration panel and associated the screen scheme with the project.

After I opened the project under administration and clicked on More under the Screens section, I was able to use the Actions button to 'Use a different scheme' and select the schemes I had already set up. That particular screen was new to me.

That was painful. I don't know if (like Nic pointed out) the document was to general, or if I just missed that step somehow. But, regardless I finally got it.

Thanks again!

1 vote
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 20, 2013

Suggest an answer