Show custom date fields under tab instead of dates area

Hi,
date fields in JIRA, no matter if custom or system fields, are bein displayed in the "Dates" area. Until now I could live with that.
Now I had to create a generic workflow with x milestones. My customer wants the name of the milestone and the corresponding due date (as configured in my tab "milestones") displayed together. Has anyone an idea how I could accomplish that?

Thinking of workarounds I've been contemplating copying the date value into another custom field where the date is being represented as a string (seeting the string field to invisible via a behaviour).
Another idea might be (if thats possible) concatinating the milestone description field and the corresponding date field...

As you can see I'm pretty lost here.

Thanks for any help

Christian

4 answers

1 accepted

0 vote

The field appears there because the standard date field implements DateField interface. If you create a date custom field that doesn't implement the interface, it will appear as normal fields.

You can then put it under any tabs you want.

Another option is to tweak the bundled view issue plugin!

Hey Jobin,

this can't be done through the normal UI I guess... How can I modifiy the custom field in order to prevent implementing the DateField interface?

I think that Jobin is suggesting that you create a new custom field type - it can be the same as the standard off-the-shelf Date custom field (if you have a license for Jira, you could download the source and see how that one works), but you tweak it slightly so that Jira thinks it's plain text (even though you could retain the date/time output, field handling and so-on)

Meant exactly what Nic said.

I am trying to achieve same as Christina Czaia. I created custom date-field from custom field but it still shows under the date section. How can I tweak slightly?

You don't.  If it's a date field, it's going to be moved.

If you want a date that doesn't move to the date panel, you will need to create a new field type that JIRA does not recognise as a date.  That needs an add-on.

Im interested in this too so hope someone can help

Im interested in this too so hope someone can help

Can this be of any help ?

http://confluence.kepler-rominfo.com/display/KCF/SIL+Script+Custom+Field

Its configuration would be something like:

return "Milestone: " + customfield_10011 + " Due: " + dueDate;

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,307 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot