Sessions timing out in Chrome for bulk operations, filter changes

Jonathan Scheiding February 13, 2013

We have been experiencing issues using JIRA with Google Chrome (version 24.0.1312.57 at last check), related to session timeouts. These issues manifest in a couple ways:

- Bulk operations will usually fail, at varying points in the process, with the error message Your session timed out while you were in the process of choosing a bulk operation.

- When navigating through issues in a filter, the current filter will sometimes be lost, and the Return to Search link (on the issue page) will disappear.

- If I login without checking remember me on this computer, I will spontaneously be logged back out, usually while navigating through an issue filter, and sometimes receiving the error message, It looks like your session has timed out, or you have been logged out of JIRA. You will need to log back in to continue.

All developers on my team (of 3) have experienced this. We have never observed these issues in any browser other than Chrome. We are not running two JIRA instances on the same server.

I've looked through the JIRA logs but not seen anything that makes the problem clearer for me.

Please let me know if you need any additional information. Thanks!

7 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jonathan Scheiding February 18, 2013

Disabling and re-enabling the LastPass browser extension for Chrome seems to have resolved the issue.

Stéphan Champagne August 21, 2019

We don't have lastpass and we experience the same issue. So this in NOT an acceptable answer. It seems no one is working on this.

I will try context path, but if it works, context path should be made the accepted answer !

2 votes
Ingrid April 18, 2018

We are having the same issue:

Your session has timed out

Your session timed out while you were in the process of selecting issues to perform a bulk operation on. This means that we have lost the information that we collected thus far from the wizard. You will need to try the bulk operation again from the start. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Timeouts occurring on Chrome, Safari. On mac.

1 vote
omarclay November 17, 2017

Same issue and happens with Chrome, Firefox, Safari.

So no extensions involved. 

1 vote
Jonathan Scheiding February 14, 2013

Janet,

• Currently 5.2.6. We've also observed this behavior on 5.0.5
  • We are not using a context path
  • We have FishEye installed on the same server, on a different port, and using Crowd authentication from JIRA. We'll try the context path and see if it changes.
  • It does not seem to matter how many issues we're looking at.
  • Yes, we aren't going through any proxy or anything.

Thanks for your suggestions, I'll follow up once we've had a chance to try the context path.

1 vote
Jonathan Scheiding February 14, 2013

Janet,

• Currently 5.2.6. We've also observed this behavior on 5.0.5
  • We are not using a context path
  • We have FishEye installed on the same server, on a different port, and using Crowd authentication from JIRA. We'll try the context path and see if it changes.
  • It does not seem to matter how many issues we're looking at.
  • Yes, we aren't going through any proxy or anything.

Thanks for your suggestions, I'll follow up once we've had a chance to try the context path.

1 vote
Janet Albion
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 14, 2013
  • what version do you have ?
  • do you have context path for this JIRA instance ? Eg: http://localhost:8080/jira .("jira" is the context path that can configure in the server.xml)
  • do you have any other Atlassian application installed in the same server ? If yes, consider using context path and see if it's still the same behaviour
  • does it get into timeout if you are filterring a very small number of issue? eg : 10 issues in the search result
  • do you get into timeout issue if you bypass all network configuration like proxy ?
0 votes
Stacey Barrette August 2, 2017

This issue is also happening on FF for Mac and Safari.

Suggest an answer