Sessions timing out in Chrome for bulk operations, filter changes

We have been experiencing issues using JIRA with Google Chrome (version 24.0.1312.57 at last check), related to session timeouts. These issues manifest in a couple ways:

- Bulk operations will usually fail, at varying points in the process, with the error message Your session timed out while you were in the process of choosing a bulk operation.

- When navigating through issues in a filter, the current filter will sometimes be lost, and the Return to Search link (on the issue page) will disappear.

- If I login without checking remember me on this computer, I will spontaneously be logged back out, usually while navigating through an issue filter, and sometimes receiving the error message, It looks like your session has timed out, or you have been logged out of JIRA. You will need to log back in to continue.

All developers on my team (of 3) have experienced this. We have never observed these issues in any browser other than Chrome. We are not running two JIRA instances on the same server.

I've looked through the JIRA logs but not seen anything that makes the problem clearer for me.

Please let me know if you need any additional information. Thanks!

6 answers

1 accepted

Disabling and re-enabling the LastPass browser extension for Chrome seems to have resolved the issue.

0 votes
Janet Albion Atlassian Team Feb 14, 2013
  • what version do you have ?
  • do you have context path for this JIRA instance ? Eg: http://localhost:8080/jira .("jira" is the context path that can configure in the server.xml)
  • do you have any other Atlassian application installed in the same server ? If yes, consider using context path and see if it's still the same behaviour
  • does it get into timeout if you are filterring a very small number of issue? eg : 10 issues in the search result
  • do you get into timeout issue if you bypass all network configuration like proxy ?

Janet,

• Currently 5.2.6. We've also observed this behavior on 5.0.5
  • We are not using a context path
  • We have FishEye installed on the same server, on a different port, and using Crowd authentication from JIRA. We'll try the context path and see if it changes.
  • It does not seem to matter how many issues we're looking at.
  • Yes, we aren't going through any proxy or anything.

Thanks for your suggestions, I'll follow up once we've had a chance to try the context path.

Janet,

• Currently 5.2.6. We've also observed this behavior on 5.0.5
  • We are not using a context path
  • We have FishEye installed on the same server, on a different port, and using Crowd authentication from JIRA. We'll try the context path and see if it changes.
  • It does not seem to matter how many issues we're looking at.
  • Yes, we aren't going through any proxy or anything.

Thanks for your suggestions, I'll follow up once we've had a chance to try the context path.

This issue is also happening on FF for Mac and Safari.

Same issue and happens with Chrome, Firefox, Safari.

So no extensions involved. 

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,042 views 13 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot