Service Desk: Issue with Workflow Properties

Jeffrey Bistrong
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 15, 2018

I have an issue, where my JIRA agents are commenting on tickets in the open status, before transitioning them to 'In Progress". I want to force my agents to hit the in-progress transition before commenting.

The problem with the below solution is when someone sends an email to support@XXXXXX.com, they get an auto-reply that reminds them to send in some required information. While the ticket is in the 'Open' status, if they reply with the below property set, it creates a new ticket. Could use some help on this issue

Add a property for the Status "jira.permission.comment.denied.group" and put my user group. However as mentioned above, it turns off comments for the external customers who may want to reply to add in information.

Screen Shot 2018-11-15 at 3.31.09 PM.png

Suggestions

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jeffrey Bistrong
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 15, 2018

Actually, I was able to resolve this myself by having two property keys, the first one being 

jira.permission.comment.denied.group

The second one being jira.permission.comment.projectrole where the key was equal to the project role ID of the Service Desk Customers 

Thanks for the input. 

Do you know how to 

a) hide the description or everything in the "Open" status

b) force certain fields to appear on the view screen (so the user does not have to hit edit in order to update the fields)

Brittany Wispell
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 15, 2018

For b) if you have data populated in the field that you need to edit it will show up on the view screen. 

Other than that I'm not entirely sure. 

As for a) the only thing I can think of is a custom validator. What type of add-ons do you have? ScriptRunner or Automation for Jira or some sort of scripting add-on?

Jeffrey Bistrong
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 15, 2018

You are correct about B. These fields are my ticket classification fields, which I want to force the user to fill out upon transition. I guess I can just force them to use the transition buttons and remove the comments part as well. But I would rather them be able to fill in the fields without having to click extra buttons. 

A) Currently. No add-ons. 

0 votes
Brittany Wispell
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 15, 2018

@Jeffrey Bistrong

Have you tried setting up an automation rule that recognizes that the Support team has commented and it will transition the ticket to 'In Progress'?

This will still allow your external customers to comment. 

Let me know if you have any questions! 

Jeffrey Bistrong
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 15, 2018

Thanks, that is a good idea. 

Thinking through that, I actually want to try hiding the description of the issue in the open status, which forces the user to make the transition. <-- This might just be a good workaround for my current issues. (I am not even sure if I can do that)

I have a couple of problems surrounding how the agent moves through the workflows

When status = in progress, I have an automation rule in place that is supposed to transition the ticket to "Waiting for Customer", but it currently does not do this because I have required fields (those fields are not visible unless the user A) hits the 'edit' button or the user actually hits the Transition button and fills in the fields from the transition screen.

Suggest an answer