- All issues that are not blocked

- All issues that are blocked

Thanks

4 answers

2 votes
Mark Symons
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2012

JIRA Tricks is a commercial plugin, taking one aspect of functionality that some find useful (but others may not) and extending it. Sure, maybe JIRA's built in JQL could offer more, but if JIRA was "everything to all people" then there would be no healthy plugin ecosystem - and I am betting that we would pay more for JIRA and probably only get new releases at a much slower rate.

The difficulty of getting plugins installed is where having a development instance of JIRA can be useful. It lets you try before you buy and lets your users decide whether something is worth paying for. That's exactly how I got JIRA Tricks rolled out into my own environment.

For what it's worth, I have also had excellent technical support for this plugin. Not only that, but an additional query that I asked for was implemented within two months. Well, I like to think that it was my idea.

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2012

Noone takes that credit away from you Mark ;)

0 votes
Mark Symons
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 30, 2012

As Jamie says, the JQL Tricks plugin can help here. Here's the page that documents the types of query that you are looking for:

https://studio.plugins.atlassian.com/wiki/display/JQLT/Issue+Link+Functions

Thus, something along the lines of

issue in hasLinks("blocks")

Then extend this with "linkedIssuesHasStatus" to further test to see whether the blocking issues are open (or whatever best fits your requirements).

Anthony Newnam May 7, 2012

Does anyone know why JQLT is not incorporated into JIRA natively? I see mention of this a lot, but I can't easily get plugins installed on the JIRA instance I normally use. It seems like this should be built in functionality with the other JQL functions.

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 8, 2012

Firstly, full credit to Jobin for spotting an opportunity and exploiting it. My client will most likely purchase it.

However, I agree that many of the functions should be natively supported. And I'm also concerned that, as I've mentioned in the past with the confluence "prettification" plugins like Zen, Atlassian won't bother improving in these areas.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 8, 2012
Agree with you, Jamie. There are more and more plugins one should buy to get functionality that Atlassian should provide. By the way, Atlassian is increasing the license fee for Jira very much. Shouldn't something like JQL Tricks be included as a basic functionality ? Atlassian People, maybe you could think about it ;-)
0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 30, 2012

You can try the JQL tricks plugin, which would let you search for issues with an inwards "blocking" link, but I don't think it will let you sub-search on the target of the link being resolved or unresolved.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 30, 2012

Depends on how you are defining "blocked"? Is it via linking?

Anthony Newnam April 30, 2012

Yes, issue linking.

Suggest an answer