Running multiple instances of Jira - correlation

Jakob Rödström November 14, 2012

In order to get away from the nasty cost of running a unlimited licence Jira (the one we have) matching plugins like Zephyr and Bonfire we want to be able to run a separate test instance of Jira.

jira.company.net (unlimited with a number of hundred of users)

test.company.net (with Bonfire and Zephyr and about 25 users)

SO, lets imagine the scenario abowe,

Will we be able to ingetrate this other instance with the one we have?

For instance move issues and link issues?

Will we be able to relate stuff from the Zephy plugin like test cases to the instance?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 14, 2012

I think I could do with a little explanation of the word "test" in your question.

If you want a genuine "test" installation of Jira, then you can use your developer licenses to run it at no additional cost. That's for trying out stuff you want to do in your Production system before doing the changes, plugins, upgrades etc.

But your description then goes on to talk about linking and moving issues, which implies the second Jira is actually another production instance, in which case you need a license.

So, is the new one going to be a genuine test system, or do you mean something more like "another production Jira for the test team to use"?

Jakob Rödström November 14, 2012

Sorry, please ignore the exact meaning of TEST here.

What I am saying is anotherdepartment.company.net separated from the jira.company.net where, as you say, the test team will use it.

So for instande qualitydep.company.net and so on.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 14, 2012

Ok, that answers the license question - you'll need another one. Although the size doesn't matter - you don't need unlimited on the new one if you've only got 20 users for it!

Moving issues between the two is not supported yet, although Atlassian are looking at things like that as they're doing some "Enterprise" work (that might also include site licenses, but I don't know yet). For linking though, yes, you can use the built-in linking, assuming both Jira installs are recent (5.1 or above I think, possibly 5.0)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events