Restful service (URL) for accessing Issues from JIRA system

We are working for Pearson which has bought license from JIRA. They have bought SAAS model.

We are doing an enhancement where in we need to access/update the data in JIRA system.

They create stories/issues using JIRA. We need to access those RESTFul service and update the same in JIRA system.

Required from JIRA team

1. In order to update the ISSUES/STORIES created at Agile menu, we need correct RESTFUL URL for updating the data.
  2. We need the exact JSON object and format so that we can update the correct values. Hence it would be great if we get the exact JSON structure.
  3. Do we need any authentication to call the RESTFUL service (POST)?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Periyadurai T.

2 answers

You can see all this with the Rest API browser. Just install it and look at the GET values or POST examples.

The system needs the same authentication as when it is access normally.

0 vote

See the standard documentation at https://docs.atlassian.com/jira/REST/latest/for points 1 and 2.

For 3, it's also hinted at in there, but to be explicit, yes, REST can only do things that the user you are logged in as can do. So if you do not authenticate, you can only do things that are allowed to "anonymous" users.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Monday in Jira Software

How large do you think Jira Software can grow?

Hi Atlassian Community! My name is Shana, and I’m on the Jira Software team. One of the many reasons this Community exists is to connect you to others on similar product journeys or with comparabl...

477 views 6 11
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you