Report on time to complete bugs by priority

Nina Pittas
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 29, 2024

I want to create a report to review how long it takes for bugs to go from creation --> done, and separated by priority. We have SLAs for each priority status and I want a quick report to glance at each month to make sure we're meeting our SLAs. (without a plug-in would be great!) 

6 answers

0 votes
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 8, 2024

If your business people are familiar with Excel, you can export the "Time in status X" data to Excel (report samples):

jira-workflow-report-pivot-table.png

...and it comes with pivot charts that you can easily re-configure:

jira-workflow-report-pivot-chart.png

The whole report is generated by Better Excel Exporter based on an Excel template which you can further customize.  For example, you could implement a test which compares the "Time in Status X" value to the one defined in your SLA and mark the issues that didn't meet it.

(Discl. it is a paid and supported app developed by our team. Free for 10 users.)

0 votes
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 7, 2024

Hi @Nina Pittas,

welcome to the community!

If you want to use Jira's built-in views, the only thing I can think of is to use Jira Automation to do the calculation yourself and store the result into a custom field, and then view the custom field in a Jira report. I can't advice on the details, but this article should be a good starting point.

Alternatively, as you've surely noticed by now, there are a number of apps available in the Atlassian Marketplace that operate in this space. Just be aware that you can trial any app for free for 1 months, and depending on the size of your site, it may be free forever - so if a Marketplace app is an option for you, perhaps try a few and see which one solves your use case best.

On this note, here's another app that you might like: JXL for Jira.

JXL is a full-fledged spreadsheet/table view for your issues that allows viewing, inline-editing, sorting, and filtering by all your issue fields, much like you’d do in e.g. Excel or Google Sheets. It also comes with a number of so-called history columns that aren’t natively available, including time in [status], time between created and resolved, and many more. You can also group your issues by any issue field, including priority.

This is how it looks in action:

time-between-created-and-resolved-by-priority.gif

As you can see above, you can easily sort and filter by your history columns, and group them by any issue field, including the priority. You can also them across JXL's other advanced features, such as support for (configurable) issue hierarchiessum-ups, or conditional formatting.

Disclaimer: I work on JXL.

Any questions just let me know,

Best,

Hannes

0 votes
Vitaly_Berezovsky_SaaSJet
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 7, 2024

Hi @Nina Pittas

For these purposes, I can recommend the SLA Time and Report from the Atlassian Marketplace. This add-on has great reporting functionality.

That's an example how to set the reporting function you need:

1. Create three new SLAs for the same Project, using the same Work schedule and Start/Pause/Stop conditions as the previous configurations, excluding the Reset SLA – leave it unconditional.

1.png

If you have teams in different time zones and need to calculate SLAs for each group, you can add a Location condition – a custom field value which allows teams to select their time zone on the ticket.

2.png

2. Set the time goals and Limit Exceeded actions for each SLA configuration. In our example, it will be notified via the SLACK channel about Breached time limits.

3.png

Breached time for Medium priority

3.png

Breached time for High priority

5.png

Breached time for Highest priority

3. Save all SLA configurations.

4. Finally, select all SLAs as the filter for issues. You can see the time spent on the SLA time goals and identify any that were exceeded or breached through the table report or charts.

6.png

That’s all! Enjoy your work without exceeding the resolution and response time.

The application has a 30-day trial period and is free for small teams (up to 10 users), so you can check how well it suits you. My team developed it, so our support can help you with the settings.

0 votes
Amay Purohit_RVS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 4, 2024

Hi @Nina Pittas 

Welcome to  the community !!

You did mention without plugin, but If you change your thought and would like to try out a mktplace app, please take a look at 

Time in Status Reports 

One of the many reports which the app provides is Time in Status in hours/days to determine , how much time the issue spent in each status in the complete lifecycle of the issue. You can group your statuses to define your own cycle/resolution time. The app has 20+ reports to track your bottleneck Issues & Processes.

Disclaimer : I work for the vendor who built this app

TIS - Cycle Time report.PNG

0 votes
Gizem Gökçe _OBSS_
Marketplace Partner
March 4, 2024

Update on May 9th, 2024: Time in Status by OBSS was recently rebranded as Timepiece. It is still the same capable app with the same dedicated team behind it. The answer below mentions the app as "Time in Status" but you can find the app in the marketplace as "Timepiece (formerly Time in Status)". 

Hello @Nina Pittas ,

Welcome to the community!

I understand that right now you are not looking for a paid solution however, if you ever need it, Time in Status which is developed by my team at OBSS, is the tool I would highly recommend. It is available for both Jira Cloud, and Data Center. Our app has a 30 day free trial so please feel free to try it. 

Time in Status mainly allows you to see how much time each issue spent on each status or each assignee. You can combine the time for multiple statuses by your choice to get metrics like Issue Age, Cycle Time, Lead Time, Resolution Time etc. 

Product Discovery 1.png

For all numeric report types, you can also calculate averages and sums of those durations grouped by the issue fields you select. For example in your case you can group the bugs by their priority.

Group by priority.png

The app calculates its reports using already existing Jira issue histories so when you install the app, you don't need to add anything to your issue workflows and you can get reports on your past issues as well. It supports both Jira, JSM and JPD projects.

Time in Status reports can be accessed through its own reporting page, dashboard gadgets, and issue view screen tabs. All these options can provide both calculated data tables and charts. And the app has a REST API so you can get the reports from Jira UI or via REST. Also you can export the reports in to various formats easily. 

SS4.png

Visit Time in Status to explore how our JIRA add-on can revolutionize your reporting process. Enjoy a 30-day free trial to experience the full range of features.

If you wish, you can also schedule a live demo. We will provide a comprehensive overview of the application and address any inquiries you may have.

Hope it helps,

Gizem

0 votes
Bloompeak Support
Marketplace Partner
March 1, 2024

Hi @Nina Pittas

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Lead time reports are what you need to measure the time interval between the moment a bug is created to the moment it is solved. An option is to use JIRA’s built-in Control Chart feature. If you prefer a more flexible and detailed reporting on lead time, you can try Status Time Reports app developed by our team.

This app mainly provides reports and gadgets based on how much time passed in each status. Here is the online demo link, you can see it in action and try without installing the app. For your case, you can have a look at Lead Time for Each Issue report.

For further details, you can have a look at Cycle Time and Lead Time in Jira: Productivity Measurement with Two Critical Parameters article and Status Time Reports How to Videos.

• This app has a dynamic status grouping feature so that you can generate various valuable reports as time in status, time in assignee, status entry dates and status counts, cycle time and lead time, resolution time, average/sum reports by any field(e.g. average in progress time by project, average cycle time by issue creation month).
  • You can search issues by Project, Issue Type, Status, Assignee, Issue Creation/Resolution Date(and any other Date field) and JQL Query.
  • Status durations are calculated according to the working calendar you define. Once you enter your working calendar into the app, it takes your working schedule into account too. That is, "In Progress" time of an issue opened on Friday at 5 PM and closed on Monday at 9 AM, will be a few hours rather than 3 days.
  • You can set different duration formats.
  • You can export reports in CSV file format and open them in MS Excel.
  • You can also add this app as a gadget to your Jira dashboards and reach “Status Time” from Issue Detail page.
  • You can enable/disable access to Status Time reports&gadgets and Issue Detail page per project, users, groups or project role.

If you are looking for a completely free solution, you can try the limited version Status Time Reports Free.

Hope it helps.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events