Repetitive email notifications

Dataloy Support November 14, 2018

Suddenly, without us changing anything in our notifications schema or on anything else in Jira, we have some users both Service desk agents and Reporters from outside our network (customers) getting several alike notifications per ticket, like one comment or mention generates 4 alike notifications.

It happens if they are assignee but also when somebody just mention them on a ticket.

Has anybody else seen this issue ?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Payne
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 14, 2018

We encountered the same issue about a week ago.

See https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/duplicated-issue-creation-comments-or-notifications-280068481.html which references a now closed ticket, but there is now another similar ticket open: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-67825

We used the suggested work-around of upping our SMTP timeout from the default value of 10000ms (10s) to 60000ms (60s) (we tried 30s, but the problem persisted), and all is back to normal.

-Payne

Dataloy Support November 16, 2018

Wow ! Ok, We will try that. Not sure we can change this when we use gmail but will ask somebody.tks brgds

0 votes
Dataloy Support November 14, 2018

What strikes me as very strange is that 2 of the service desk agents who are getting several email notifications, pls note exactly the same email at least 4 times, are two of the most active agents. This started  to happen suddenly.

And when it comes to a customer , it is just one customer...

You mentioned : If someone mention you in a ticket is an expected behaviour to recieve an email, why would I mention you if you can't see that I did it?

Me : Yes, you should get ONE notification not many emails with exact the same content and with some minutes difference.

tks

brgds

Cristian Rosas [Tecnofor]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 14, 2018

Oh I get it now... so they are recieving multiple mails about the same changes... that's weird. Maybe it would be interesting to check the audit log to double check that no one has changed anything, and also enable the outgoing mail logging and profiling.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/diagnosing-mail-and-mail-handlers-issues-229180314.html

0 votes
Cristian Rosas [Tecnofor]
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 14, 2018

If someone mention you in a ticket is an expected behaviour to recieve an email, why would I mention you if you can't see that I did it?

You should check the documentation about notifications in Jira and try to adapt your schemes to this. Jira will bombard with emails to watchers too, and anybody who acts in a tickets suddenly becomes a watchers, so maybe you should limit your schemes.

We have a very strict schemes so this kind of things don't happen in our company, but we had some experiences with customers who are not as strict as us, and asks time to time to change the notifications schemes.

Suggest an answer