Removing project side panel from JIRA

Kamil Beer [Onlio] December 15, 2017

Hello,

how do I remove the side project panel from JIRA? The one that shows the name of the projects, summary, components and weblinks?

Most likely, I have to disable a system module - which module in system add-ons do I have to shut off?

Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 15, 2017

Morning Kamil,

Are you on Cloud or On-Prem?

Kamil Beer [Onlio] December 15, 2017

Hello,

ah, I forgot to add that. It's server.

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 15, 2017

If it is a plugin it will be definitely a system-add on I am trying to figure out which one as some of them Atlassian is suggesting to not disable them.

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 15, 2017

If I may ask you why are you trying to remove it? Because may be there is another way to achieve certain behavior by playing around the App without disabling a system add-on

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 15, 2017

It's going to make navigation painful for your users if you remove it.  I can't find a system add-on to turn off that removes it without losing all the rest of the project information

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 15, 2017
Kamil Beer [Onlio] December 18, 2017

It's a long story, but one of our clients wants to have his jira as minimalistic as possible and wanted us to remove it.

So, how do I remove the panel?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 18, 2017

You disable the system add-on that provides it by removing it from the installation.  This has two problems:

1.  It affects all projects

2.  It removes all the project data, rendering Jira pretty much unusable (you won't be able to configure projects and your users are going to have to remember the direct urls to get to boards, reports, and issues etc)

Kamil Beer [Onlio] December 18, 2017

Thanks Nic. We'll experiment around it. Do you remember which one it is?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 18, 2017

There's not a lot of point in "experimenting around it".  Jira is unusable without it, so all you'll be doing is wasting your time.

Kamil Beer [Onlio] December 20, 2017

Noted. Could you please tell me which add-on it is?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 20, 2017

Really, you don't want to do this.

But, if you insist on shooting yourself in the foot, there are four .jar files in your installation:

atlassian-nav-links-plugin
jira-issue-nav-components
jira-issue-nav-plugin
jira-projects-issue-navigator

They will have those names, but with -<number>.jar on the end of them.  Stop your Jira test system, move them somewhere safe, restart Jira, log in and see that your Jira is utterly useless, then reverse the change.

Thanks. I have already hid the panel using css in the Announcement banner, which seems a bit easier.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 20, 2017

Ugh, I pity your users.  On the bright side, more chance of extra work for me when we get asked to repair the mess you've made.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 20, 2017

You made me laugh @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-! and Kamil good luck to your users. I really wonder how JIRA will look without the left frame.

Mantanz October 14, 2019

Actually it looks great from a business consultant perspective with less unnecessary items. I agree with Kamil here.

Tanu March 6, 2020

@Kamil Beer [Onlio] , how did you hid entire left side panel with css in banner ?
Can you help

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events