Releasing in GreenHopper during a Sprint

Dirk_Maucher June 28, 2011

We are operating in two week Sprints. Planning and working during the Sprint with GreenHopper works very good. We have the following structure:

Version 1.0.0

+ Sprint 0

Version 1.1.0

+ Sprint 1

+ Sprint 2

+ Sprint 3

Version 1.2.0

+ Sprint 4

+ Sprint 5

+ Sprint 6

If we are in the Sprint 1 that has 3 requirements attached to it and a customer reports a CRITICAL bug, this bug is attached to the current Sprint in that case Sprint 1. After attaching the current Sprint tasks are stopped and the Team solves this bug. Sometimes it is essential to make a release after this bugfix DURING the running Sprint 1.

And here is the Problem. The current Sprint 1 is attached to Release 1.1.0. This is correct. But the release I am creating that contains the bugfix would be release 1.0.0.1. So I create release 1.0.0.1 with JIRA. But right now I am not able to move the complete Sprint 1 under release 1.0.0.1 because the Sprint 1 contains also three requirements that are not done already. What I want to do is, that the bugfix is allocated to Sprint 1 because it was done there and then also allocated with release 1.0.0.1 and NOT 1.1.0. To do this I have to edit the bugfix issue and set the fix version from "1.1.0, Sprint1" to "1.0.0.1, Sprint1". Are there any other ways I can do this? Because this way is very error-prone.

It would be nice to get some feedback.

1 answer

1 vote
Nicholas Muldoon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 29, 2011

Hi Dirk,

Unfortunately you've hit on one of the major weaknesses of GreenHopper. Currently GreenHopper uses the Fix Version field for the sprints which is not great as customers (ourselves included) often fall into the same situation you have.

We have this issue on our backlog. Our idea is to split the Sprints out into their own field. At this stage I can not provide a concrete date on when we will introduce the Sprint field.

Thank you Dirk.

Regards,
Nicholas Muldoon

Deleted user July 27, 2011

Nicholas,

We are also facing a similar situation. If you could give us the link to the issue in your backlog, we can probably track the progress and vote there.

Khurshid Akbar October 20, 2011

I have added a issue report on this topic, yes I would agree it is a major weakness which will force us to use other tools to do ALM at our shop

Suggest an answer