Read only field query

Neeta Dubey December 8, 2014

Hi,

I have requirement from a user where we want to put a one line description on an issue type E.G for Article issue type- we want to put a one line description" SLA for this issue type is 72hours" I tried using Read Only Text field. I mapped it on the screen as well but it doesnt appear.

How can i put a read only text field in JIRA?

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 8, 2014

A read only field is exactly that - it's always read-only to the user.  You have to populate the data on them with code.

I think you want to try the "message fields" from the JIRA Toolkit - they let you place text on a screen without having to put anything in a field.

Neeta Dubey December 10, 2014

Hi Nic, I guess this field will satisfy my query however I'm not sure how to use this field. What i have done so far is- Added a custom field " SLA is 72 hours" of Message Custom Field (for view) type. Mapped it on create/view screen however even if the ticket is created. This message is not appearing. Am i doing something wrong?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 10, 2014

There's a clue in the name of the field, although it's not that clear. "Message Custom Field (for view)" is for, well, issue view. The create screen is an edit type screen. You're not viewing the issue, you're editing it (ok, so for create, you're editing nothing to become something, but it's still an edit screen). So try using a "Message Custom Field (for edit)"

i added that as well however its still not visible on any of screen create/edit/view . My edit and view screen are same. do i need to use some post function?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 10, 2014

No. You add a message custom field for edit, place it on the screen, the text appears when you use create or edit. I've got an example right in front of me, so I don't know what you're doing differently

Do i need to write in any HTML code?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 10, 2014

Well, you might eventually, but start with plain text to see how it appears.

Neeta Dubey December 11, 2014

Apologies for begin so repetitive. Could you please share piece of text that you have used to make is visble on your screen. What i have done so far is created a "Message custom field for both edit/view" and labelled it like "sla is 72 hours". Copied same and pasted in description. the i mapped it on all 4 screens where ever I could see it is default/create/edit/view. Still i cant this field ata ll.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 11, 2014

If you look carefully at https://ecosystem.atlassian.net/wiki/display/JTOOL/JIRA+Toolkit+Plugin - it says to put your text in the field *default* value.

Neeta Dubey December 11, 2014

Thanks Nic. I got the mistake i was doing. I added the custom field but was not specifying any default value. Many Many thanks!

0 votes
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 8, 2014

Well a far as I understand it you can set a value in a read only field only via post function,via a listener or while imorting from csv file.

You can use your radio button though (or select list), set your value (with 72 Hours SLA) as default for this issuetype and make it mandatory in your field configuration (that will remove the none option). If you don't have the field on the edit screen it can't be changed later on (I guess this is what you want).

0 votes

Thanks for looking into this query. Could you help me in understanding"Read Only Text" field functionality in JIRA. Do you have some workaround that could solve my purpose? I thought to do added a radio button SLA and in the drop down I gave text "SLA for this ticket is 72 hours" but it has None option also populated so it doesn't look nice.

0 votes
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 8, 2014

Does your field have a value? If not it will not appear!

0 votes

Any updates? I really need help on this question

Suggest an answer