Prevent users from logging time on a closed ticket setting estimate automatically gets set to zero

abbas baman March 31, 2020

Hi we are using jira 

• v7.13.0 version 
  • I want to Prevent users from logging time on a closed ticket and when a ticket is closed, the remaining estimate automatically gets set to zero
  • could you please help me on this ASAP 

4 answers

2 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Ashkan Malekly
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 1, 2020

Hi @abbas baman 

For getting remaning estimatation ziro you can use post function (update field) and clear the remaining estimate on your closed transition and if you have automation for jira add on, you can use automation. But for preventing log on closed issue, edit the workflow step property of the appropriate status e.g "Done" add the following entry:

Property key: jira.permission.work.denied

Property value: denied

Then publish the draft l

abbas baman April 1, 2020

hi @Ashkan Malekly  thanks for your help but could you please help me to describe step by step process as I am not aware and new to jira confluence 

Like Ashkan Malekly likes this
Ashkan Malekly
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 1, 2020

Yes of course. For getting remaining estimate ziro after changing status to "Done" you should go as bellow:

Project setting => workflow ( if you want to this on all issuetypes. Do this on all workflow) => edit mode =>click on your desired transition ( e.g in progress to done) => choose postfunction => click on add postfunction => choose " update issue field" => update your remaining estimate to 0.

Then publish the draft.

For preventing users from adding logs on issues that are in closed status go as bellow:

Project setting => workflow ( if you want to this on all issuetypes. Do this on all workflow) => edit mode => click on your desired status that you want to prevent adding log e.g "Done" click on property and then write like bellow

Property key: jira.permission.work.denied

Property value: denied

Then publish the draft.

If it is not clear tell me explain it 

Like abbas baman likes this
1 vote
Answer accepted
Elifcan Cakmak
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 1, 2020

Hello,

For your first inquiry, workflow properties should do:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/workflow-properties-776636709.html

You need to use 

jira.permission.work.denied

on your closed status and no users will be allowed to log work.

For your second inquiry, you need to add a postfunction to your workflow that is called "Update Issue Field". On the transition to your closed status, add this and update your remaining estimate to 0.

Regards,

Elifcan

abbas baman April 1, 2020

hi @Elifcan Cakmak  thanks for your help but could you please help to specify step by step as I am new to jira confluence I am not aware about and can't find anything clear on above link

Elifcan Cakmak
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 1, 2020

Hello,

On your Jira instance go to Workflows and edit the workflow of the project you want to achieve this:

Selection_427.png

For the first inquiry click on your Closed status. Mine says Done but it doesn't matter. You should click on the status that you want to prevent logging.

Selection_430.pngClick on properties here and add like this:

Selection_431.pngClick on add. Then go back to your workflow editing page. Click on the transition that you want to prevent logging time. Mine says done but it doesn't matter, again. You should click on the transition that makes the issue status Closed.

Selection_432.pngHere click on postfunctions. On the new page click on add postfunction and choose Update Issue Field and click on add. On the new page choose remaining estimate and write 0 and add. 

Selection_433.pngFinally click on publish button to publish your workflow with the changes. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Elifcan

abbas baman April 2, 2020

hi @Elifcan Cakmak thanks a lot for your support and effort much appreciated for your help

0 votes
swasti_agarwal December 15, 2022

Hi,

Can we disable time booking in an issue based on the status of its linked issue?

Any leads would be helpful here.

Best,

Swasti

Michael Adams July 10, 2023

I presume you never received a response on this? 

I'm attempting to accomplish a similar thing.  If an issue of a higher-level hierarchy is closed, the user should not be able to log time to a lower-level linked issue. 

0 votes
abbas baman April 2, 2020

hi @Ashkan Malekly  thanks a lot for your support and effort much appreciated for your help

Suggest an answer