Portfolio: Capacity View showing Planned Capacity for all Teams when not everyone has work assigned

raph
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 26, 2020

Using the Portfolio plugin to manage my organization's roadmap. Within the Portfolio view, I have created 10+ teams, and the sizes of each team vary.  The capacity for each individual was updated with unique values using Scrum and set at 2 weeks iterations. Lastly, I entered the average amount of weekly hours each individual would be able to contribute weekly (average).

Not every individual will have work assigned to them each and every Sprint, as this roadmap doesn't account for everyone's responsibilities within the organization, just our project-based work.

We've already scoped out work for the next 6 sprints and have a great understanding on how work will be executed, will it will be launched, and so on. We are in the middle of Sprint 1 and as expected, I can switch over from the Scope view to the Team view to get a better understanding on who is being under-utilized, over-utilized, or completely free of project-based work (and I can shift resources from there).

Looking ahead into Sprint 2, I noticed that every single individual from every team is at 100% planned capacity. I've triple-checked to ensure that I wasn't missing anything, but similar to Sprint 1 and every other Sprint, not every individual has work assigned to them for Sprint 2. For the people who do have work assigned to them, their capacity utilization exceeds 100%. This anomaly is only happening for Sprint 2. In Sprint 3 and thereafter, it all returns to normal and only individuals with work are shown to have any utilized capacity.

Any thoughts on why this may be happening? Concerned that this may impact any reporting that I may want to share.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
raph
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 27, 2020

Nevermind, figured it out. I had an initiative that was too large for the set release timeframe, and the scheduler attempted to compensate for the aggressive timeline by automatically assigned other individuals to help make it come to fruition.

Suggest an answer